Can't sleep!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Just wondering whether any of you are in pain and unable to sleep like me.  Knee not generally as excruciatingly painful at night but the paracetamol taken earlier have made no impression on the pain whatsoever so I'm guessing it's the new exercise the physio suggested.  She calls it the "lunge" and you need a step/stair to do it on.  (I am only doing 5 reps at the moment) When I did it for the first time yesterday I really liked it and my knee felt really good afterwards but maybe i have overdone things a bit today because the gorgeous spring sunshine beckoned me into the garden so I also walked out there for some while.  Anyway whatever the reason my knee is giving me hell!!!  Hopefully it will settle down soon as I have an ice pack on it just now.  Tried to read my book but cannot concentrate so have radio on to drown out the barking of the foxes.  I  brought a mug of hot milk back to bed and am proud of myself because it's a very long bungalow and I managed to do it by only using one crutch and my MS makes that quite difficult.  I didn't have the heart to wake my beloved husband up as he is sleeping peacefully in another bedroom.  Well that's it for now.  Will try my book again as pain seems to be settling a bit.  Sleep well all of you.

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello! Yes I'm wide awake now because I over did it with the lawn mowing today! I have been sleeping for most of the night this last week or so as I stated in Sky's post about sleep but if you do too much you always get punished at night! I hope that your nice drink has relaxed you? I've resorted to the spare bedroom so that I don't disturb my husband who's snoring like mad in our bedroom! Happy dreams & take care.

Glenda😄

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hardly any of us get proper sleep. You need something a bit stronger than paracetomol to break the cycle.

Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Definitely something stronger than paracetamol is required for your pain, I think.  Last night I had one co codamol l and a naproxen and the one up twice.  It is really important that you try snd sleep at night as this is the time you heal.  It just doesn't pay to do too much in these early days. I wish you well.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Definitely stronger analgesia,Camper! Even if you try to be brave and take paracetamol in the day, have co-codamol or Tramadol at night. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I went to the doctor yesterday because I was having pain at night really bad. He has prescribed me PALEXIA SR. 50 mg. I took one last night and slept through. It's slow release and doesn't contain paracetamol so you can still take your daily painkillers.

Hope that helped

Caz x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

My message had a website on it, here it is again

This sounds like a trick worth knowing...

Ever heard of the “4-7-8” breathing trick? Yep, neither had we…turns out, it’s pretty good.

Take note if you're struggling to get to sleep right now (or later).

Simply breathe in through your nose for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds, and exhale through your mouth for eight seconds. 

Apparently this combination of numbers has a chemical-like effect on our brains, it slows down heart rate and soothes you to sleep. It works. Crazy?

If you’re stressed, or just rubbish at getting to sleep (because you’re too busy reading on your phone or computer…like now!) you should definitely try it.

If you have ever had the feeling of being put under by anesthesia, (where you are conscious, and the next thing you remember is waking up) apparently this is very similar.

Worth a try?!

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up