Can't stop thinking about past choices

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey guys. For the past couple of years I have had problems with constantly thinking about choices I made when I was a teenager and they normally affect my day. I'm CONSTANTLY thinking about and regretting things I did, however these aren't terrible things like, for example, beating up someone, stealing from an elderley person (I didn't do any of those of course). These are the stupidest, smallest things - like what clothes I wore, the way I spoke and what sort of music I listened to. The reason I created this post was because I don't understand why I worry about something so small and think about it so much. Is anybody able to explain why I may feel this way or how I can stop these ridiculous thoughts? Thanks.

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is very common in mental illness.

I constanly regret things

Maybe try some therapy

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

is it normal for me to feel this way? another thing i keep thinking about is regretting being emotional about stupid things that don't even matter. do you think that is just a normal part of growing up?
    • Posted

Yes it is part of growning up and if your feeling down or anxious then it just makes you more emotional

This forum is excellent for support and even if you just want to vent your fustration

Stay strong sweetcool

• Posted

Your best bet is to try and live in the present and not the past. Difficult I know but CBT may help your paranoid or worried thoughts about the past. Give it a try.

Richard

• Posted

I wouldn't just fob this off as mental illness - that's too pat.  We ALL worry, whether it be the past, present or future.

Worrying becomes like a coping mechanism.  It's a kind of magical thinking, a form - albeit a tortuous and illogical one - of self-protection.

Don't deal on the crap that you can't do anything about.  Instead, practice daily affirmations like 'I have learned a lot in the past, and I am worthy of a bright future.'  Beating yourself up over past choices is considered unproductive regret, and you need to erase that from your life somehow.

• Posted

Hi there I agree with Richard. I regret so much it just makes me live in the past and what's the point as I can't change it. I can only live for the now so worrying about the past or the future just stops you living in the present. Keep going it will get better. Be good to yourself and positive about good things you have done. Good luck.
  • Posted

Maybe its more that you feel or wish that the past played out differently then It really did. Things happen for a reason, lessons to be learned from at the very least. I beleieve everything plays out the way it is suppose too and it is all done  with no mistakes made. Life is about learning and things go on repeat until the person learns what they need too to move forward. There is not point to attemot to live in the past, if there was a lesson you missed it will be repeated somehow anyway. I think every person alive has done what you are doing but at some point lets it go. Not you need to let it go.
  • Posted

I kind of do this sometimes too.

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who can help?

• Posted

firstly am sorry for ur illness but am too victim of similar illness before 3 yrs things was good for me but now it is reverse very simple things make me very anger i don't know the reason behind ...................and also i can't forget it  every morning when awake from sleep things regret then day round
  • Posted

feeling any better?
    • Posted

Well sometimes the feeling can come and go. However most of the time I am still stuck in that mindset "why didn't I do that differently?" or "why did I not think to do that?". It's a frustrating feeling.
    • Posted

21. and no i'm not. i haven't been employed since last year either
    • Posted

Do you have a way to get free therapy, or will you need to pay out of pocket?
    • Posted

Personally I've never felt the need for therapy. I guess for me it seems a bit too much if that makes sense? As in I would rather sort things out on my own and be more mature about the situation rather than getting too deep with it.
    • Posted

Ive had depression for 16 years and I always thought therapy was the wimps way but if you look into it getting to the root of your problems helps.

You have to want to help yourself  no point moaning about it then doing nothing to help it

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

I understand where you're coming froom. I beat anxiety for about 5 years with no help and I thought I might not need therapy. However, it came back a few months ago, and I regret not going to therapy so much. 

It could really help?

Could you at least consider it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.