Can't take much longer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm new here, but I have acute stress reaction and when I'm anxious I can't eat. I'm 18 and still living at home. my parents say they care and that they're yelling because they're frustrated and they say that its because I don't want to grow up and that I enjoy having anxiety. They think i like the audience or the label and every time they yell I feel worse and I can't eat. I'm currently stressed with A Levels in a coupke of months and getting into university, but I've felt anxious since january and its not really got much better, at all. I don't want to be at home, and all I want to do is go somewhere else but my parents think that i need to get a grip and handle myself without an 'audience' as they call it. I just can't cope, I've had this for 2 years and had the therapy and been on tablets but it hasn't worked and my parents just think I'm not trying, when I am but I can't beat it. I just need someone to vent to and just advice on how to cope with this, because I really can't at the moment

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie, I'm so sorry to hear your feeling like this! I can completely relate to your problems as well as suffering from Anxiety/Stress.

First of all, unless people have suffered anxiety and mental health themselves, I don't think they actually know how you feel daily! And how much of a struggle it is. I'm sure you parents mean well in their own ways. Perhaps you could sit down with them and explain? And tell them stress increases your anxiety!

Secondly, in order to get better you need to be around positive, supportive people! If things become really bad, do you have any other family to stay with or friends?! This happened to me. I'm now better (kind of) and have a much better relationship with my parents. Sometimes the stress of us being ill must take a toll on them!

Here anytime you need a chat. Good luck with your exams. You will get better smile Mia xx

• Posted

I agree with you 100% Mia.

Sophie your parent's concern is understandable, but you really do need you to explain to them that what you do need is gentle support.

Shouting at you or pressing you some way to snap-out of this will not work.

• Posted

I've tried often to explain how I'm feeling but they say that they see no effort from me and its the only way to get through to me

They don't understand whenever I try to explain

• Posted

Hello Sophie

The reaction of your parents is that of not comprehending what anxiety and stress does to a person, physically and mentally.  I had the same problem when I was young, when there was generally little done to help.  Even the doctors in those days had a sort of "pull yourself together attitude" and nothing was explained to my parents.  Now, however, there is much more help available, and maybe you could get one/both of your parents to talk to someone experienced in this field.

I am sure they love you to bits......they just need to be able to understand from a medical point of view.  Keep smiling.  Keep posting if it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.