Can't work out if it's anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I as having trouble swollowing last night it felt when I swollow anything it socks in the back of my throat so I have to re swollow then In bed I kept forgetting how to swollow this happen like 5 times or more I was petrified my hands shook in the air with fear because when you forget how to swollow it feels you forget to breathe aswell iv just done it now too .

I have to close my eyes and I get the panic feeling and can't swollow the panic feeling is because of this but it's not all the time I also woke up what felt like gasping about 5 times im scared my grandad couldn't swollow before he died and I don't know what to do does anyone else get this or should I go to doctors ?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had this last night too Steph exactly same I'm going to mention it today at doctors hun hope your ok xxxx
    • Posted

Did you really hun ! It's so scary let me know what the doctor says please xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Steph

I dont think its anything to worry about. it sounds to me that you are suffering from severe anxiety. the more you think about these things the worse they become and remember anxiety causes physical symptoms. If you are afraid of dying and have anxiety with certain things then what your experiencing is very likely to be anxiety as you are associating certain things together. 

By all means see your doctor to put your mind at rest but i wouldnt worry. Anxiety can present itself when were least expect it. Our mind plays tricks and makes us believe something that isnt there. 

For example: i have a fear of being sick so everyday at some point i think im going to be sick or i have caught a bug or i may catch a bug. i have gone of my food and often experience feelings that are not actually there.

• Posted

Aww great examples ! It's so frustrating I was stressed out when it started I want to go to doctors but then they is no point I was at hospital on Friday doctor sent me because I had low oxygen get there to be told im fine and asked symtoms of lung cancer ect well I had some symtoms and she was shocked but because of my age she said there's like 000.01% chance of me having anything and sent on my way so my trust again has gone out of doctors though I will try to forget this if it hasn't gone tonight I'll ring 111 because it's hard to focus on anything else and embarrassing when it happens thank you xx
  • Posted

Its very likely anxiety. I've had it at varying degrees over the last year. Your throat tightens with anx, and makes swallowing difficult or feels like a constant lump. The problem is we then focus on it and it becomes worse. The doc will have a look and tell you its anxiety I'm sure
    • Posted

Thank you Iv had the lump feeling though I haven't had it when this is happening it's jus like I really do forget how to swollow and it's scary as anything maybe it's my muscles all tensed though like you said I used to have it once or twice when I was younger so I wasn't scared when it happens a couple of times but one is more enough for me can't cope with it happening constantly thank you xx
  • Posted

Definitely sounds like anxiety. This would be a typical panic attack symptom.  My sister gets this way quite bad and ends up hyperventilating.  In the unlikely scenario that its not anxiety related it would not be anything bad anyway.  I myself had a wisdom tooth problem and had trouble swallowing.  So nothing serious at all.  The best thing to do is think of something to keep your mind occupied such as think of a difficult times table.  this will let your throat relax.  My first panic attack was so bad as i didnt let myself relax but now there are easier as i just focus such as counting backwards from 200 for example xxxx
    • Posted

Yeah I count to 8 it's weord isn't it how we all cope lol .

It wasn't a panic attacks though unless I'm getting mini ones lasting seconds but I don't know my panic attacks have changed now used to happen in a order and a certain time now there all over come on when they want and diffrent symtoms thanks hun helps a lot xxx

• Posted

haha yeah, my mum used to count the little flowers we had on our wallpaper when she had one.  I once had a panic attack where I thought I was going to faint and then I had another where I had bad chest pains and out of breath so perhaps panic attacks can be different?!  Private message me anytime you like if you are feeling worried.  Nothing worse than going through something like this alone xxx
  • Posted

You probably can't swallow because of a dry mouth or lack of saliva, your body doesn't produce it when in an anxioys state as you don't need to eat when fighting or flighting. 

N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.