Can the hospital tell you if reflux is due to a medical reason or otherwise?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - hoping someone can help me. I have been suffering from acid reflux since Christmas and my symptoms have become less and less (on ezomprazole/nexium). It hasnt gone completely however now i am concerned that whats left is due to stress. I am due back at the doctor this Friday and at my last appointment he agreed to send me to hospital for further tests if this hadnt gone. I have already had an endoscopy which revealed mild gastritis. I am just wondering if the hospital will be able to tell if my current reflux is due to something medical or if stress is causing it????? does that make sense? thanks Jo 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi joe it could be a little of both I've been suffering from stress for the last five years due to the fact I'm a career for my adult daughter she's got a very rare form of Epilepsy and I have symptoms every day I take PPI medication every day but doesn't work very well I'm at this.havibf mite tests done I've had camera put down and berum swollow done agai. For the 3 rd time eating to see if they can find anything else wrong apart from making to much acid 

• Posted

I have silent reflux I think.. the only symptom I get is a dry burning throat I do worry about it which makes it worst..do you think this could be stress related
  • Posted

I was told by gastroenterologist that my GERD, esophagitis and gastritis were probably brought on by my auto immune problem. Also stress does play a part at the  time of reflux ; whenever I am stressed about anything I notice my chest getting tight (my only indicator of GERD are bad chest pains) and I have to force myself away from negative thoughts and sure enough within 5 minutes or so my chest pains disappear and I start burping.

Do you have an  auto immune problem? 

• Posted

not that i know of. i just know that the endoscopy revealed mild gastritis and i thought the PPI's would just get rid of it. i dont understand if the gastritis causes the reflux or if i have started with reflux too (coincidence or not). can the hospital diagnose reflux from additional tests. in other words can they tell me if i have reflux or if the gastritis is still causing it because it hasnt gone? until i know i keep worrying about it which is a vicious circle!

• Posted

I hope others more knowledgeable than me will chime in, but from all my research online (I'm new to the world of GERD/LPR), it seems a lot depends on how good and open-minded your physician is as there are a MILLION reasons for GERD.  Food allergies/intolerances, hiatal hernia, h-pylori, candida. acid overproduction, acid underproduction, SIBO...the list goes on and on.  There are tests for most of those things, but some are expensive, time-consuming, and inconclusive.  I've been trying to focus on eating better to improve my system.  Low-carb has been better for me than low-acid so far, as I think it targets a number of those causes without having to know exactly what's going on.  I do have another doctor's appt next week where I'm going to request food allergy testing, however.  That one has me curious.  Anyway, good luck and I hope you get other (better) advice!

• Posted

Thanks Nick. My appointment is the day after tomorrow and my concern now is that with my change of symptoms i suspect i may have silent reflux. i am not sure how this can be diagnosed though. i just wanted to be prepared to ask the doc everything while i have the opportunity. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.