Can you become "immune" to the sedating effect of mirtazapine?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Can't think of the correct word that i wanted to use but basically what i'm trying to say is can you become immune to the sedating effect of mirtazapine? Been taking it for nearly six weeks now and it has been great for my sleep, (helping me to fall asleep quickly), but lately i have been having difficulty falling to sleep again, i have found a few times that i feel wide awake late at night making it difficult to fall asleep. So wondering if a person gets used to the sedating effect of mirtazapine? I have previously suffered severe insomnia from depression and anxiety and i dread to think that it is coming back.

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi itssofluffy, absolutely yes tolerance to any drug can develop.

Mirtazapine exerts it's (slight sedation in my opinion) via its antihistaminergic and serotonergic properties.

In my experience, Mirtazapine barely had any sedating effect compared to my primary antidepressant

Amitriptyline. Remember though everyone has physiological and psychological differences which in turn

means you should never take generalisations about any drug you are prescribed. Under a doctors

supervision it is generally trial and error until you find a breakthrough and combination which gives you relief of your symptoms whatever they may be.

I suffered terribly with insomnia due to having severe ulcerative colitis. This caused anxiety and mood problems. It was my Gastroenterologist that introduced me to Amitriptyline. In my opinion the best antidepressant and sleep aid available today. Maybe discuss with your doctor if your issues can be addressed with the minimal amount of meds.

May I ask what Mirt was prescribed for initially, also are you taking anything along side it?

• Posted

Hi, yes i am taking mirtazapine for depression and anxiety. No other medicines just 30mg mirtazapine. Did try citalopram for 8weeks before doctor changed me to mirtazapine because citalooram wasn't improving anything and dr thought mirtazapine would help my sleep. Didn't sleep for 3 days at one point whilst taking citalopram.
  • Posted

How long have you been on the Mirtazapine if you don't mind me asking?

I have stopped my own Mirtazapine with no ill effects at all, in fact I feel better without it. My Mum uses Citalopram with great results. However that is generally a gp's first line of treatment. My current meds I have listed below, any questions don't hesitate to ask. I was where you are once and you will find a solution don't worry.

Current Meds: Amitriptyline 150mg

Buspirone 60mg

Pregabalin 400mg

Discontinued Meds: Mirtazapine 30mg

Propanolol 80mg SR

• Posted

I have been on 15 mg Mirtazipine for over 12 months and with 60 mg of Duloxetine I am doing very well. Came off all benzodiazepines, thank goodness. I sleep reasonably well, better in fact, than I have in years.

I am in Australia, new to this forum.

• Posted

I have been on mirtazapine now for two years. For me, it has been a godsend. It has stopped my frequent migraines, my constant skin hypersensitivity, and my insomnia. The initial heavy sedating effect of the drug wore off after a couple of weeks, but it has left me with a natural sleep better than I have had in twenty years. It helped me come off temazepam and reduce my alcohol consumption. However, I would say that it is no help if you cannot sleep through severe anxiety caused by noise. I am a very light sleeper and I remain so on mirtazapine. I will wake if a pin drops and this has not changed one bit since taking it.
    • Posted

Yes this does help sleep but a pin drop is all it takes to wake.  How do,you get back to sleep
  • Posted

Been taking mirtazapine for nearly six weeks now. I have been overall pretty happy with how it has been working for me, I much prefer it to citalopram which I tried first. The best part has been that I have been able to sleep, but been having a little difficulty again on a few days lately, it's not anything near how bad it was though, I do want to try and stick with mirtazapine.

Hi elizabeth, Australia nice smile. Glad to hear it's working out for you.

Hi evergreen, yeah I have always been a difficult sleeper, can remember struggling with sleep since my mid-teens, often getting up in the middle of the night, but it wasn't a severe problem. Only had severe difficulties from suffering with depression and anxiety. Overall Mirtazapine has helped my sleep immensely, maybe these current difficulties are just me going back to my usual way.

• Posted

Hey good afternoon everyone, great to hear such positively.... I was on mirt 30 for three years and got through a nursing degree with distinction and I was clinically depressed with bad anxiety and recovered... came off my med with no prob at all and gt a great 6 years well ... unfortunately have become unwell again since Nov... back on my med 30 mirt and doing good... sleeping well after surviving on only an .hr at at a time and eating again and anxiety virtually gone.. this med has done wonders for me ... nice talking to u all ... .kp the positively going... remember it's good to talk
  • Posted

To itssofluffy : 6 weeks is certainly long enough to achieve a clinical response for what the Mirtazapine was designed for. If it works it works and you should be thankful your chemistry accepts this med. Mirtazapine is a NASSA - Noradrenergic and specific Serotenergic Antidepressant. This means it acts slightly differently to an SNRI where they just inhibit the reputake if the neurotransmitters it targets, Mirtazapine actually encourages more production. It's specifically targets the blockade of certain 5ht receptors via an antagonistic/Inverse agonistic method. In my experience I am not sure of its efficiency alone as I was ready going full steam ahead on Amitriptyline which as mentioned earlier has been a live saver to me.

I found my vicious circle started when I became sleep deprived through having uc which I mentioned earlier. I had social anxiety before which was magnified with getting little sleep and then General anxiety on top sent me into depression and the circle continued, no sleep more anxious, worrying about no sleep even more anxious and so on.

Anything you need to know Donny hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Stuart.

• Posted

Stuart, how were you able to break the cycle? I suffered through adrenal fatigue that keeps me from falling asleep...and leaves me wired and tired. My once single anxiety became general as well becausw of insomnia. I'm currently taking 15mg of mirtazapine and 75 quetiapine for the knock out. But have found my body has started becoming accustomed to it. Now I'm adding zopiclone to the mix. I'm wondering if it will eventually get better? I've been on mirt and que for 2 months now.

• Posted

Thanks stuart. Yeah it does get like a vicious circle..... with me it started as depression, led to anxiety, led to insomnia, and insomnia just makes everything a whole lot worse! Have been doing ok generally lately, I do think mirtazapine has started to have a good effect on me. I feel much more relaxed and laid back about stuff now, things that used to bother me just go straight over my head.
  • Posted

That's great, the sooner you find an antidepressant that works the better as the more you try the less possibility of complete remission of symptoms. You have probably built a tolerance rather than immunity as if you stopped for a while it is likely to have the same effect it did at first. Regarding the insomnia the Amitriptyline for me is the best thing on the market. I also find the Pregabalin has a great effect on both anxiety and my sleep architecture. If you read up on it, it is clinically proven to help you achieve sleep 3 and 4 (deep restorative sleep)

Maybe have a chat to your Doctor. I see no reason why you cannot augment with something for your sleep problems.

Stu.

• Posted

Yes a tolerance, that was the word I was looking for. Yeah I'm due to go back to the doctors in a couple of weeks, so will mention it if my sleep problems continue. It has only been on a few days, I am just worried about falling back to how it used to be, hopefully that won't happen!
  • Posted

We all dread going back to square one don't worry. Also something I have learnt online is, the successful patients do not generally post as their lives have improved to a point they do not need to search forums etc. the people with no success or side effects moan like everybody will react like they have. I am sure you have come across a few lol.

One more thing is that the higher the dose of Mirt, the more stimulating it becomes. This is a novel action which is completely unique still to this day I think. Maybe Mianserin which is also in the same class may also do this. With that in mind maybe discuss with your prescriber about this. Please look for long term safe relief from insomnia and not quick fixes of z drugs or benzo's. Have you ever tried melatonin?

• Posted

Yeah I do know what you mean lol. Yeah I heard that about mirtazapine. I was prescribed zopicline for just 7 days back in november when I started taking citalopram, but there's no point in it for insomnia because it just meant that I slept well for a week but then went back to the beginning again when finishing the course. No I haven't ever heard about trying melatonin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.