Can you develop hyperthyroidism?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am consistently tired, and have severe anxiety and depression. I cannot remember if I had the bloodtest for hyperthyroidism a couple of years ago (when I was tested for anemia and glandular fever, tested positive for glandular fever). If I was tested which I cannot remember, it must've come back negative otherwise I would remember...but, my CBT therapist asked me about whether I had been tested as it may be a possibility. 

Is it possible for if I was tested negative, for me to now have developed hyperthyroidism?? Please help! Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, you can develop it at any time. I have had my thyroid tested several times during my life and it was normal. Then in March this year I was found to have quite severe hyperthyroidism. I am 53.
  • Posted

Your values can be in the normal range, but they may not be normal for your body. That's why so many people go years with a thyroid problem undiagnosed. I started to have symptoms of hyper at 23 years of age, after the birth of my second child. I had every symptom of hyper, anxiety was my worst one. All doctors ignored me because they all thought I was hypochondriac. 3 years ago, at the age of 40, I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and I am now awaiting a total thyroidectomy. The anxiety is fierce and is still to this day the worst symptom I have.

• Posted

Make sure they test all three thyroid tests, i.e. TSH, Free T3, Free T4.  It is possible especially at the beginning of a thyroid illness to have an abnormality of Free T3 or T4 but normal TSH initially.  That's what happened to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.