can you go crazy from aniexty

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was just wondering, I have panic disorder and I feel very spaced out all the time like I'm in a dreamstate, but can aniexty turn into skitsphrenic or phycoious? Sorry I can't spell them, I think what is keeping my anixety here, is the fear of becoming seriously mentally Ill. Will be greatful for the replys xo

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

No, anxiety cannot and does not develop into schizophrenia or any other psychotic illness although it is a very common fear, it's not possible though and believe me I have researched this and asked countless doctors too.

People with schizophrenia or other psychotic illnesses can suffer anxiety as an additional symptom to their existing condition but anxiety cannot cause those conditions to develop.

• Posted

I've had what the doc's think is anxiety for 10 years but now I'm at the point where I'm starting to question my sanity I feel like I'm loosing myself and I mean that on a serious one. But I don't think anxiety itself can cause these illnesses. I've got bad ocd and panic aswell.... but I'm positive I'm starting to get mild psychosis but I'm not a medical professional so no idea.
    • Posted

I think though, if you were truly going crazy you wouldn't really know about it? I mean psychosis does happen but you can get Better from it? theres medications that can help, My theorpist told me that people that develop psychosis are born with no rational side to them, I can't remember what it was called that they are born with but they have something that others arnt born with, I understand your paniced! Believe me I am scared aswell, but you just have to tell yourself that theres no point of stressing about it, it won't change anything,if it's gonna happen (which it wont) it would of happend by now, panic will trick you into anything to keep the panic alive, panic is nothing without fear, stay calm and relaxed and the fear and panic will too! Dm if you need to talk!
    • Posted

Very interesting you say that, they arnt born with a rational side I didn't know that, the thing is with me I've suffered anxiety for many years but I coped fine. For some reason 15 month ago I took steroids the biggest mistake of my life! for the gym within 3 month I got derealisation it was hell welt trapped so I stopped the steroids straight away.... thought it would go after I stopped but it didn't it stayed.... After another 5 months living with this I had a huge panic attack in the gym it's now been another 10 months or so and I nkw feel detacthed from reality and myself I often question my very existance and I'm starting to belive my life isn't real.... Sadly the anxiety and panic is still very bad I'm now out of work... I eat a perfect diet never drink alcohol ever, try n run in the morning but after that I'm virtually bed bound for the day as my thoughts scare me too much to cope. I can't think of anything else buy psychosis for me but the doc's just shrug it off as anxiety. If I don't get help soon im worries for my mental state. Don't know where I'll be it's like I've opened Pandora box of horrible dark nightmarish thoughts..... how do i close it?
    • Posted

Your prone to anxiety, so you will get derealisation, you've obvs had an bad effect with the steroids, people with aniexty are very sensitive! The problem now is that derealisation has become your new thing, derealisation is there to protect you, it's like a safety mechanism so ive read, it can't take all this panic so it shuts it's self off from the world, but with you keep obessing about this new feeling will just make it worse because your brain needs more protection from the panic, honestly you have to have the attitude like ' I don't care that your here' it will soon pass, make yourself get out of bed! And push through it, see it as you wearing a blanket over your head, the blanket will only come off if you keep walking with it!!!
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice if the feelings get any more intense I'm worried about where I'll be In the future. According to the illness lifes a dream anyway.
  • Posted

Hi. I have schizophrenia which causes extreme anxiety, but I dont think anxiety can lead to schizophrenia. That said, people with sever depression can become psychotic (hearing negative voices about themselves usually), so I'm not sure it's entirely impossible for you to get some psychotic symptoms. But no.. I dont think you could actually become schizophrenic.

If you're worried, the best thing to do is speak to your GP, or even better your psychiatrist if you have one. But to give you a general idea, psychosis involves having visual and/or auditory hallucinations, and being generally out of touch with reality.. like seeing an article in a magazine and thinking it is about you.

Hope this helps a little

• Posted

Hiya! How did you know you had it? Was it something that you've recently been dignosed with? I'm sorry that you have itsad I just really fear it, I suffer with derealisation and depersonlisation sometimes, like sometimes I will feel out of body and sends me into a panic attack! Is that loosing touch with reality?It's very very scary feeling! I try and ask my cbt theorpist but he doesn't really help,
    • Posted

I don't get audatory or visual hallucinations.... but feel extreamly out of touch with reality. Thanks for your input inmate88 hearing your story helps alot.
    • Posted

I didnt know I had it until diagnosed, which came about from me going to my GP with depression - which is a negative symptom of schizophrenia. They then asked about my daily life and what I experienced, and I was then refered onto a Psychiatrist. And it went from there really.

I dont think feeling out of body is the same of loosing touch. Becasue you are aware that its happening or has happened. When you loose touch with reality you generally dont know that youve lost touch, at all. It all seems completely normal and rational. If that makes sense.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have, if I can

• Posted

Yeah it does make sense, think I had a bad Reaction to steroids.... I didn't ever get these extream symptoms before. But doc says he doesn't think skitzophrenic for me as he thinks I would Have shown earlier signs.... but when you start getting freaked out by your own existance combined with scary irrational perceptions just seems to powerful for anxiety.... I've tried to hospitalise myself but they don't think I need it... yeah thanks for your input it's great.
  • Posted

I also don't rarely have a rational state of mind hence the reason I only have to look at my wall in my appartment to start thinking terrible thoights.... but I wasn't always like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.