Cancelled meeting

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been struggling recently over things I shouldn't. Today could not face a meeting so didn't go, scared of getting panic attack. I can't face people today but have no choice. Oh I hate the feeling, and it's really effecting my life. Always on edge. I'm scared of going out and seeing people. To a point where I'm ready to stop going out. I keep pushing myself but not sure if I can do this much more.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I find that sometimes when I take the pressure off e.g. tell myself...no, I don't have to see anyone today, I usually feel better. Basically I'm saying, try not to put too much pressure on yourself and don't get frustrated with yourself if you can't face seeing anyone, you are fighting this anxiety every day! Sometimes, it just gets too much and that's ok. xx
    • Posted

Thank you, it's too much at the moment, it's coming everyday now, just hoping the tablets will kick in soon.
  • Posted

You have "social anxiety" right now.  I got this from a website on social anxiety: (moodjuice) is the website:

When we are socially anxious, we tend to avoid social situations (e.g. parties; speaking in front of small groups, asking for a refund etc). However if we keep avoiding the situations we fear, we never get the chance to prove to ourselves that we can cope in them and our confidence remains low. Similarly, whenever socially anxious people do enter the situations they fear, they tend to use 'safety behaviours' (e.g. sticking tightly besides a good friend at a party; staying silent when in a small group to avoid looking foolish etc). Although these behaviours seem to help in the short term, upon closer inspection they are actually unhelpful. This is because they stop people from learning that they could have coped fine without relying on such precautions. Instead, someone may believe: "I only coped during that party because I had my best friend besides me" so their confidence remains low. Therefore, like avoidance, safety behaviours stop us from learning that we can cope in such situations and our anxiety towards them continues.

The best way to reduce our anxiety towards social situations is to gradually confront them, without relying on safety behaviours. Of course, confronting social situations can be daunting, especially given that our anxiety levels often rise when we do so. However research shows that if we can stay in a situation that we feel anxious in for long enough (without using our safety behaviours), gradually our anxiety will reduce. It is almost as though our body and mind become 'used to' the situation and our anxiety begins to fall. This may take around 30 minutes or more but often happens more quickly. More importantly, if we subsequently confront a similar situation again, the amount of anxiety we experience is likely to be less and less on each occasion. Not only this, but it is likely to pass more quickly each time too, until the point that the situation causes us little or no anxiety.

• Posted

I have problems going to lessons, I Hope you are right made myself go yesterday and will next week, hopefully the anxiety will decrease next week. It's so hard but forcing myself, apart from today, was not something I could do today. I get anxious most of the time recently in the library, at work, at even lessons, it mad but so hard my life seems like a fight everyday. And the depression is bad too, started the upper dosage waiting to take effect. Thanks for the reply it was really helpful.
  • Posted

I am going through the exact same thing. I really do feel your struggle and every day is a challenge to do your daily tasks. Going to work, school, shopping, anything that is confrontational..etc. Do you have a therapist/psychiatrist? If you don't I highly suggest one, it helped me overcome the fear of "what is next". I'm still struggling with it but it's gotten much better. Talk to a doctor about it and see if there's a medication that would help or something you could do to relieve the anxiety and the what if fear. Hope all goes well! Message me if you need more advice smile
    • Posted

Went to the doctors, upped my meds and going to see a counsellor don't when but they will write to me. It's a struggle everyday,
    • Posted

Dont get discouraged if upping meds doesn't help....keep trying it took YEARS for me to find right combination....I have good days now and bad...I havent had any GOOD days in the last year...but since taking my medication for 1 month...I have had about 5 good days.

Today was not one...LOL....stay with us...laugh at ourselves....do something good for yourself tommorow blackhole..even if it is a ride to the store to buy some junk food.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.