Cancer fear getting worse, self harmed again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I posted about this a few days ago, I'm having a lump under my tongue checked out tomorrow and I'm convinced I have oral cancer. I stupidly looked up the symptoms of this illness and I had a complete breakdown, I cut myself on my hips and I really regret it. It's only gotten worse since I read an article that basically said half of people born in th UK will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. I've also found some bruises on my knees, I don't remember hurting them so I don't know where they came from and I'm convinced they're blood clots or something -_- I'm on my third week on Sertraline but I feel terrible. I just don't know if I'll ever get better, I just want to roll over and die sometimes.

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

you need to let the meds work for longer and they do make you feel worse before you get better the first few weeks they take a good 6 weeks to get the full effect and if your self harming yourself i would seek some help from your doctor dont be ashamed of what has happened when you see your doctor just tell them how your feeling and they will give you some advice on whats best to help you im sorry you feel so low at the moment try n keep yourself busy with other things like seeing friends family and goin for walks just to keep your mind busy on something else 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Don't worry about media comments they depend on the funding angle over years we've had alcohol obesity smoking eggs meat sleep and many others all going to wipe us of the planet

the biggest factor for cancer is poor diet with ext erior bad things like smoking drinking poor diet lack of exercise so best better stop googling eat sleep exercise properley and you chances of a healthy life increase substantially.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I just want to say good luck for tomorrow and definately think about seeing a gp about the self harm.

I saw the articles on the news yesterday about half of us getting cancer but they say thats due to people living longer, obesity, smoking, etc. I did panic too but then told myself that many many more people do survive cancer nowadays. There is an awful lot of publicity about cancer at the moment and while its good for many people for us suffering with health anxiety its a nightmare.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Also a lot of publicity about Cancer is based on the positive work by Cancer research and finding cures, new medicines so there is a lot to celebrate when it comes to treating and beating.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How did you get on at the hospital? Sorry if you've posted and I missed it
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I actually went to the dentist, he said he couldn't see anything unusual. That it was my saliva gland and a natural part of my anatomy and that I'm probably just noticing it now, I really want to believe him but I'm still a bit iffy becuase I swear it wasn't there a month ago. But then again he was trying to reason with someone who counts her freckles! I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing now though, thank you so much for asking. Much love xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm so glad everything seems ok.the joys of health anxiety we scan our bodies to find something wrong then get anxious and fear the worst. Your dentist is probably right, just keep an eye on it (I'm sure u will if you're like me lol).

Are you on any medications or having CBT for your anxiety? I can't recommend CBT enough. I'm starting mine on Monday x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah, I'm on my third week of Sertraline. I've been reffered too someone by my GP, but it's the NHS. Could take ages, I've heard of CBT but I'm not 100% sure what it is,  all I know is that it changes your thinking xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeah it changes the way we think. I had health anxiety 5 years ago, had CBT and until now have had my anxiety under control so been referred again. They basically get to the underlying cause of your anxiety and help you address it. In my case I was doing too much, trying to please everyone and my brain couldn't cope with the stress. If you can get referred definately go for it. I was told it was a long wait but 5 weeks and Ive got the appointment
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up