Cannot control Anxiety/Depression symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I've recently started suffering with anxiety symptoms (depression has been on n off over a few years, never too severe) and I am finding it hard to cope with it all right now. I have been prescribed 40mg Propanolol by the doctors last week and found it helped with the tight chest/palpitations for the first few days, but the last couple of days it hasn't touched on anything at all. If I'm not palpitating then I have a very tight feeling chest.

I had lost my appetite for just over a week, have lost a lot of weight(that I couldn't afford to lose in the first place). I had started to get my appetite back and have been eating relativley well the last few days, but have found myself unable to eat again, despite being hungry.

Right now I have an unexpected day off of work and am hugely regretting agreeing to it because the mere thought of spending the day alone to just sit in my own thoughts and stress terrifies me somewhat. I am feeling very alone and helpless right nowl which seems to set me off even further.

I'm just looking for some advice in meantime really, coping strategies perhaps, or something? Walking isn't going to help as it gives me the same platform for my mind to race and wonder; which it still does when I'm at work, but I find to a degree keeping busy helps slightly.

I'm at quite a loss right this second and don't know what step is best from here.

I am hoping to go back to the drs(and see someone else if possible) for blood results and perhaps a further chat on things.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I completely empathize with you, I'm the same at the moment, although I try to leave off the meds, I only have diazepam have you tried these, they do work but they are not long lasting, sometimes having a good cry helps a little, or try different breathing techniques, walking would help try listening to music while doing it so your brain only thinks about that, I would say gym or high impact exercise so you don't have to think, but wouldn't help with the weight loss thing would it?? I hope you find something that helps ☺
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am reluctant to go onto any meds, especially something like diazepam, and it's not something I could take almost at all as I need to drive and I need to work, too, which is a physical job so need full control over myself.

The crying I cannot stop, it's all I seem to do at the moment and whilst it does help for a little while, I am getting quite fed up of the constant emotions.

Unfortunatley when I listen to music I listen to it too deeply and I pick out lyrics and relate them to my life etc. It's a bit of a nasty cycle really, but doesn't help a lot of the time :-/

I also meant to add that I am not sleeping at the moment - which is a combination of my very random and varied shifts at work and the anxiety, too. I think I've had a max of 9 hours in 3 days, and I also woke up after a terrible nightmare that induced a panic attack in my dream which kicked in the moment I awoke, took me a long time to come out of that one.

• Posted

Oh I see, I'm only on 2mg as and when I need it, like I say its not long lasting but you feel fine on them, until you start increasing it I would imagine, have you tried googling ideas to help?? Have you tried any of the herbal remedies for sleeping?? Do you like to read?? You could try that, anxiety is a viscious cycle in itsself , its hard to know what to do for the best ☺
    • Posted

You're lucky if you can get diazepam, it's controlled drug because of it's highly addictive qualities, doctors don't give it out willy nilly. 

I have temazepam but find my mood drops even more a couple of days after taking it. I've had a blister strip for over 6months & just take some as & when but it's not a drug that should be taken lightly & it doesn't solve the problem.

• Posted

Hi i to suffer similar problems for my health anxiety it comes in phases for me i usually have your symptoms but now im having sinus bad jaw and headache problems which is really depressing me i feel so alone even thou i have an amazing gf who helps as much as she can but theres not much she can do apart from cuddle me which dont get me wrong is the best feeling in the world but she cant do that 24 hours a day. I feel so weird and clumbsy and feel like im a propa wreak. All i want to do is feel normal instead of goin to docs and constantly thinkin ive got a life threatning disease r sumink. Im constantly scared u wudnt think to look at me im quitr tough looking so im told and full of tattoos lol but all i do is cry and cry and full of fear. I think ur fine when it comes to the chest feeling as ive had that on and for a while now and i hope u get sorted soon. Big love sy smile
  • Posted

I'm to having they sinus, headache thing going on, I'm gonna try something in A minute for it, so hopefully this works, but its horrible always feeling s****y. 
    • Posted

I can certainly relate to anyone is afraid of being alone in their thoughts.  I am a retired paramedic, and believe me, I've seen a lot of bad things...I have months, even years without depression and scary thoughts, but, out of the blue, one day, I will get these really weird feelings, and it is so hard for me to concentrate on anything or make any choices...I have been diagnosed with clinical depression and panic disorder...I take quite a bit of anti-depressants and things to calm me down...Then, just as soon as it came, it leaves for a while...thank God!!...Hang in there everyone...I believe they will come up with a cure for us one day, and everything will be fine again....HUGs to all
    • Posted

Try suddafed Simon, check that your not allergic to any of it, but my headache has gone the strange heady feeling and my nose feels clear   good luck ☺ 
    • Posted

Tablets that's is .
  • Posted

i am like this on days off too. I try to keep busy, do some DIY, even if something boring like painting skirting boards, it does help and the day passes. Plus you develop your skills as you go on, i can now even fit a kitchen! Seriously, i do find this helps. Exercise is always a good one too, even just a 20 min jog

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.