Carbimazalo

Posted , 5 users are following.

A week into my carbimazole treatment I feel I can stand it anymore.  I itch all over and it is an unbearable itch.  I feel like tearing my skin off.  Anyone had this side effect from using carbimazole?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have this problem but it started before I was on carbimazole. I have been on carbimazole for six months now and the teaching is worse. After seeing the endo on 7 May he is now changed my medication. I went to see the GP on Friday who has changed my prescriptions he is also given me some antihistamines which he said are stronger than over-the-counter ones also some cream to help combat itching. However the chemist only had one of the items in stock and not the tablets that I've been given instead of carbimazole. So I am unsure of what to do as if the itching persists or I get a reaction to the new tablets I will not know which one is causing it.. I get itching mainly around my face/neck area and sometimes arms and shins. I can sympathise with you as this also drives me crazy. The Endo changed my medication because my levels are not coming down as quickly as he would've hoped. It's not a nice feeling being like this. But it does get better. If your itching persists see your gp or call the endo. Hope you soon felling on top of the world again. 😊
    • Posted

cheers vicki, my neck, legs and sole of my feet are the worst!  Think I will have to contact gp again and see about a medication change.  Wonder is carbimazole the cheaper option as it seems to be the first one they prescribe?  I really hope you get your levels down.  Keep me posted xx
    • Posted

I can't even pronounce the name of he one I've to to take now. The pharasist said throat not many people take this one that's why they did have it in stock. Before I was diagnosed with graves and all the other thyroid things I had no idea that it could reak so much havoc with you body. But I had the itching first. Thought I was allergic to products I use at work. But the. My eyes swelled up so badly that my glasses rested on them. I looked a mess and gradually felt worse. Sweating whe body trembling and feeling constantly sick. Loosing so much weight. Have you of an appointment with an endo. I found my tp to be useless. Told me to take anti histamine. 
    • Posted

Do you know i havent even got to see my doctor.  The receptionist just rang and told me to collect script.  I feel as if i am left high and dry with these horrible symptoms.  Apointment with endo but could take months.  Considering stopping the tablets this morning but i know i have to speak to doctor first.  Sat and cried this morning as I feel so awful.  So hard going into work and trying to act normal.  I am normally a positive person but feel floored with these horrible symptoms and dealing with it on my own
  • Posted

Go and get some piriton or similar antihistamine as soon as possible - I had horrendous itching and I was going mad with it - red blotches at night, I didn't recognise my body - the consultant thought it was the thyroid condition and not my reaction to Carbimazole - the tablets helped a lot and it did pass.
  • Posted

Hi girls

I too had the itching problem but thought mine was caused by Carbimaole.  I think it says on the med leaflet that itching can be a side effect & to take anthystamine.

In respect of the other anti thyroid medication, this will be PTU, I believe this is not normally prescribed as I think more people have adverse reactions to it plus I read somewhere it is a carcinogen.

Although I had a bad reaction to Carbimazole initially I have now been able to tolerate it, I think the issue can sometimes be that the Endos just give you too much too soon.  I certainly found taking it the second time that my body was able to cope with it when I started on a low dose & gradually increased.

In my experience the endo didnt believe me when I told him all the side effects I was having from PTU & even got his little medication reference book out & looked up what possible side effects were listed but because what I was experiencing was not in his little book he said they were nothing to do will the pills. So there I was not sleeping, finding it hard to drive, work & even walk some days all due to joints swelling & he just sat there and said I needed to see a physio! I was so mad I refused then to go back to see him.  I then saw a BUPA endo who was really nice who advised me to stop taking the PTU and sure enough all joint issues went away.  However, I then made the mistake of not going back to see her, I was busy at work then going on holiday and to be honest I was liking not feeling really bad after a year of issues with both pills. It was in the back of my mind that I should not just leave things but I just carried on being busy with life.  That was until last year when I developed rheumatoid arthritis & ended up very ill.  

I will never know if the arthritis would have happened anyway but I'm stuck with it now!  I read somewhere that anti thyroid medication can sometimes be found to start arthritis but I have not managed to get any doc to agree if this may have happened.

So from the experiences I have had I find it hard to trust any endo, they seem to have little time to listen to how you actually feel and I dont believe they fully understand the disease which is why I am trying alternative therapy.

Anyway enough negativity from me! I am sure there are nicer endos in the country just none in the NW!

I hope you both get some relief soon from all the itchy problems & keep us posted.

Kind regards.

Ann 

• Posted

T the moment it's my eyes that worry me. The itching goes through cycles. Itching like crazy. Then skin goes dry. Then flaky. I have thyroid eye disease as well. At he moment I've got double vision. Eyes are painful to look up down left and right. Watching tv is a waist of time. Feels like the screen is way to big. That PTU is the meds I'm starting g tomorrow Anne. What's the dosage on that usually. I went up to 30 my of carbinzole for w while but my liver functions went to pot. Which they are. And to top it all I've in the menopause so the sweats are rediculse. To be human again!!!  CANT BLOODY WAIT. XX
    • Posted

Hi Vicki

Sorry you seem to be having a rough time with it. I've never had an eye problem thankfully.

I have read PTU can cause liver problems too & I thought it was more likely to than Carbimazole, you may want to discuss this in more detail with your endo.  Don't be afraid to ask to see another endo if you are not happy with the one you go to or if you can afford it perhaps consider going private, at least with a priate consultation you do get the time to discuss things properly.

As I said I really do recommend finding out as much as you can so that at least you can have a meaningful discussion with your consultant and will be more able to challenge what is being said if necessary.  

I wish you well

Regards

Ann

• Posted

I had severe itching but it was caused by the high thyroid hormone levels from the Graves disease, and it went away after a month on Carbimazole - it was so bad that I had cuts all over my legs from scratching!
  • Posted

I got really ill on Carbimazole and I was itching before I started taking it. Before I was diagnosed I came up in a rash all over and itching like mad. I was put on antihistamine and oil to use in the shower. It got a bit better but I still itch like mad especially at bedtime. I'm now on 100 mg of Propylithiouracil and that's to replace 30 mg of Carbimazole. Little tip feel much better on this but get yourself some xtra strong mints as they start to dissolve the min they hit your tongue and the taste is foul. I take them then straight away have a mint. After a couple the taste goes. They are more harsh on your liver so I would question that. I'm a week in on these, feel like I did before taking carbimazole. Still tired, had a four hour nap sat pm. Lol but felt better for it. 
    • Posted

I'm abt to start on the propylithiourcil tonight. 200 mg. I hope I don't get any side affects.  I already have abmormal liver results. I have to take two morning mad two at night. I'm just abt to read the leaflet that goes with the tablets. 
  • Posted

I would keep going with the Carbimazole and get calamine lotion, anti histamine and be patient -the itching is like nothing else but does pass.  My consultant gave me a prescription for ptu as I was in itching hell and I got worried about the affect on the liver so held out with Carbimazole and it got better - obviously I was also paranoid everytime I got a sore throat!  On hindsight I should have also been given anti depressants to manage my anxiety. Good luck. It is very frightening I know, but it will get better.
  • Posted

Personally I feel like a different person on PTU but different things work for different people. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.