Carbimazole Doseage

Posted , 3 users are following.

Diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism in January. T4 level was 82 so given 40mg carbimazole. Level dropped to 21 after a month so medication reduced to 20mg. It has been creeping back up and is now 33. My doctor seems to think I should go back on 40mg carb again but I think that's too high. Any thoughts ?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi carol24023, what is the normal range of the FT4 level? Did they find out what is causing your hyperthyroidism? 
    • Posted

I presume it's Graves Disease that's causing it . My doctor not that much help😕 I think range is 10 to 24

• Posted

Do you have a printout of the blood tests? You could look for entries relating to thyroid antibodies or thyroid receptor antibodies. If I were you I would get a pill splitter and take 30mg. But it's best to discuss it with your doctor.

You could read about the supplement L-Carnitine or Acetyl-L-Carnitine. It is what they call a peripheral thyroxine antagonist and can reduce some of the ill effects of a surplus of thyroxine. When I was first diagnosed I had severe muscle pain and that is why I started to take 500mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine per day. 

• Posted

Don't have blood results but I do know my antibodies were tested and were only 2% I think

• Posted

I just feel I have so many unanswered questions and no one to talk to that's why I joined here

• Posted

In Graves' disease patients the thyroid receptor antibodies are raised and the overproduction of thyroxine is mostly caused by thyroid-stimulating immunoglobulins (TSI). Since January your endocrinologist should have investigated what is wrong with your thyroid. Have you had a thyroid scan to look for nodules?

• Posted

Dan Hi I have a tsh of 0.02 T4 16.5.POAS 35. I have severeal non cancerous nodules . No treatentyet feelreally ill all the time. Leg stiffnessand periperal neuropathy getting worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.