Cardiac or anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been getting pressue in my chest, shooting pains, hot sweats, pain in jaw in centre of my back between shoulder blades, pain in ribs upper abdomen and pain down my left arm over the past year. I had numerous ecgs blood test which have all came back normal.

last week i done a stress test on running machine and ECG which the cardiologist said shows abnormalities. However i went A&E yesterdaydue to pain being so bad and they said my bloods ecg was fine and my blood pressure was good 121/71. How can an ecg show abnormalities last week and now they say its fine.

It is driving my insane what are this pains they never seem to get to the bottom of it and dont know what it is as everything seems i feel like im going mad. How can i be getting all these pains and they say im fine.

0 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What abnormalities did they find? Did they do the enzyme blood work? That would show with that alone if you had a heart attack.. So would an ekg, so I don't get how your cardiologist saw abnormalities. To answer your question though, yes that is normal if it isn't your actual heart, all symptoms are well known during panic attacks. Try and calm yourself. Read, write, color, take a walk.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes they done bloods and ecg this time at the hospital and they said it was fine. However last week when i had an appointment with cardiologist he advised there was abnormalities but did not explain what was abnormal just said he was reffering me for a CT scan. I should have pressed for further information.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

well what kind of abnormalities - did the cardiologist not make it clear? Obviously you still have questions. I would talk to the cardiologist who has seen you. If the only abnormalities were during/following a stress test than whatever they were they would not necessarily show during a resting ecg. nor do the pains mean that you are about to have a heart attack. Especially if blood was tested for enzymes that would point to an impending episode...I would talk to the cardiologist and find out what abnormalities and what you should be doing as next steps if anything. If your pain persists they could also do a colour doppler scan. to make sure everything is structurally sound in that. After that, you can write off all pains to stress/anxiety. smile All the best.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi didnt explain what abnormalities i should of asked just said the ECG showeed some abnormalities and that he was reffering me for CT scan. Im not sure wether i could phone the hospital and ask for further information.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

nice sad ...when is your CT scan scheduled for? Very often some stress test 'abnormalities' turn out to be nothing major at all. The fact that you have recurring pain may or may not be related. I just hate it when doctors keep people in the dark and make them worry more. I hope it all gets sorted soon and you can rest easy.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you i know the worst part is not knowing, if i know i can just get on with it. Im still waiting for a date for the CT scan which will probly be ages away. Im getting married in three weeks and have stag do next weekend but im worried i wont be able to enjoy as i will be woprrying about my heart the whole time.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. I think the rule of the thumb is "if you want something done you have to do it yourself" but since you can't diagnose yourself by yourself why not try going to the cardiologist who has seen you and try playing the 'human' card with them asking for more info, mention your upcoming wedding and express your worry and discomfort regarding the recurring pain. And play it up a notch if needs be. Sometimes it works and you get your job done sooner. Not sure how it goes where you are but may be worth a shot?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Stress Echo shows more shows howbyoir heart functions under stress a posed tu the resting ecg
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Like many medical tests, ECG's may have false positives or false negatives.  This means that the ECG may show an abnormality called a 'false' positive that turns out to be unimportant.  It may have been picking up on your anxiety too.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have had all the symptoms you have mentioned Ive had test done including ecg endoscope and ct scan all clear it is anxiety

Consider therapy to learn how to copecool

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey,

I'm new to this site, was browsing around and came across your post.

Before I say anything, I'm not a doctor, but I know your symptoms. Been there, done that! I had the same symptoms awhile ago and most of the doctors I went to had no clue what was happening to me, either.

In my humble opinion, you could be hyperventilating (basically, a panic attack). How is your breathing? Do you find you have to take a breath so you can speak?

You may want to pass this by your doctor and see what he says. I suggest you start taking better care of yourself! You can't help others if you don't help yourself first. In all honesty, you're going to have to make some lifestyle changes.

Whatever is going on in your life right now is affecting the way you are thinking...to the extreme!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Morning, Thanks for your comment, my breathing is generally good but i do get ocassionaly the feeling that im struggling for air and have to keep trying to take deep breaths. I have tried exercising and making lifestyle changes but the pain seems to continue
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi,

Okay, so let me know what you've been doing for exercise and lifestyle changes, plus what I mention next...

Four things I figured out about getting rid of anxiety are you need exercise, a way to clear out negative thoughts, getting yourself in the right environment (work being the biggest area of people being in the wrong environment), and the one no one really talks about when it comes to anxiety is the food we eat.

If you can tell me how you're doing with each of these I'll be able to see what you can do to improve yourself

The anxiety won't go away over night. It took a long time for you to get to the point you are right now...and it will take some time to get back to normal. You'll have to be disciplined in doing specific things every day and you'll gradually notice the changes happening to your mind and body.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up