Catarac lens selection

Posted , 7 users are following.

Recent eye exam to re-new prescription glasses, diagnosed with beginning cataract in left eye. Ophthalmologists scheduled surgery but I am faced with the dilemma whether to select the Custom Lens, at an additional cost, vs the Standard lens. Got the impression the Doctor incline to suggest the premium lens? If younger it would not be an issue however at the age of 74 not clear if there will be presenting issues with aging and whether premium lens would be the best option? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Agree with the others that age should not be an issue, if one is healthy and can afford it.  On the day of my cataract Op, while we were waiting at hospital for our turn, one patient said he was 85 and opted for premium lens.  Depending on where you live in the US, a premium lens costs US$2,700 to US$3,500.  In Canada, a private surgery is in the low C$4000 per eye (premium lens) including surgeon's fee and laser enhancement if required.

• Posted

Thank you for responding to my question. I have been given a cost of $225 for the examination to determine if the left eye vision can be corrected with a premium lens, $800 for the cost of the lens, and $2200 for the surgery. It would seem by improving the vision in 1 eye would present an issue with the other eye and eventually require lens replacement. The patient forum has certainly given me food for thought which I intend to present to the Dr. Again, I thank you!
  • Posted

Goatfarmer - lots of good advice.  The only other comments I can add (I have 2 Symfony IOLs) is that although premium lenses are options that allow one to be glasses free most of the time, they do come with a trade-off of your night vision.  More glare and halos than standard monofocal lenses.  Symfony for me have less glare at night but I do see multiple concentric rings around certain light sources (red traffic lights, cars when brakes applied, certain LED lights).  I do know commercial pilots cannot choose a mumtifocal or EDOF lens due to night vision compromise.   

I do drive at night but if I drove for a living I likely would have made a different decision.  

A lot of people consider a mini monovision approach with standard monofocals where one eye (usually dominant) is targeted for distance and the other eye for intermediate.  This gives more range and people generally only use glasses for reading.  

Good luck to you and take your time before deciding as there are many considerations.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.