Cataract op needed if not interfering with my life?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Stopping to think now, I believe I may be being rushed into two cataract operations. I responded to a mail shot which offered eye examinations at home through the NHS.

The optician came and said I needed new glasses, which I bought. However at the same time she mentioned I had cataracts in both eyes. I paid of course for new glasses which seem fine and would not have thought about cataracts, and have no difficulty seeing or doing every day tasks, if she had not brought it up.

I've just been to the NHS hospital although the department is actually a company within the hospital and not of the hospital.

I was told I needed both eyes done but nothing was explained. A nurse made me do the usual eye test - I couldn't read the three lowest lines at a distance. The nurse only made me try and read these lines. I could read about three top lines. It was done very quickly and she didn't test my reading. I only spent a few minutes with the doctor. However coming home and reading NHS leaflets on the internet I don't appear to have any symptoms which indicate I need surgery.

My day to day life is not disrupted. I don't have blurry vision. I have also read that I may need new glasses after the operation. I find it rather disturbing that the same woman who prescribed new glasses for me, which are fine, also referred me to have eye surgery when I might have to spend more money on glasses after surgery.

What do people here think?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you had cataracts, your vision has bouts of blurriness (something that looks like a cloud of smoke when you're viewing objects, etc.). Now, if both of your eyes have cataracts, you should have seen these cloud of smoke but if not, I think the best thing to do is to have it checked by an optometrist. 

P.S: Nurses aren't actually allowed to diagnose patients so, it's highly unlikely you have a cataract by just reading an eye chart.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for this. I don't have bouts of blurriness and was very disturbed to read on the form that I would need reading glasses after the op when I don't need them now!

• Posted

Honey, if you are in your 80s and are seeing fine with glasses than i would  get on my knees and praise the Lord.   cataract surgerys out come is more iffy in your age group.  IF YOU DONT NEED IT ....DONT BE RUSHED INTO ANYTHING.lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.