Cataract op on right eye.very short sighted

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had  cataract op on right eye .Was told I would see distance and would possibly need reading glasses .I can only see very close up   And everything is very blurry  even looking acrosss the room .

can any body explain the reason for this happening.

i paid private hoping for good results. I feel really depressed at the outcome 

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The newer toric IOL models like from Tecnis have demonstrated a much smaller percentage that rotate, and if its going to rotate it usually happens within the first month after surgery and they can rotate it back up until a few months after.  I think the risk of rotation on the newer models is fairly small like 1-2% or so.

With my high astigmatism, I went for a Tecnis toric monofocal  with my researched knowledge about the low risk of rotation.  I had asked my eye surgeon about the risk too and he has rotated them back before (though rarely was it needed) so I was prepared.  I'm at over 2 months from my right eye cataract surgery now, and the toric does not appear to have rotated significantly since I'm getting near 20/20 day vision now and at my full dialted eye exam last week the autorefractor only showed about 0.5D cylinder residual astigmatism which was how much was expected.  Before I had the IOL in that eye, I had about 3.0D cylinder, so its a big difference.

With that much astigmatism I had in the right eye originally, I had ruled out multifocal IOLs and even the Symfony Toric since they didn't come in models with a large enough cylinder, only the monofocal torics did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.