Cataract operaion

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had cataract operation 6 weeks ago but have been told that I am now shortsighted in that eye ---but longsighted in the good eye----this has caused a inbalance, resulting in sight not too good and bad headaches.

Has anyone had this problem?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have that situation as well and it takes quite an adjustment to get used to it.  I find that with distance it is easier to cope with than it is with reading.  Also when I am tired my focus is really bad
    • Posted

Thans Carol for you experience, I am having such bad headaches --as soon as I enter a shop/forum etc ---quite scarey!!

I have glasses to be ready soon , if I cant get on with those , then I will be referred back --to see if they will do the other eye ---although no cataract in that eye ?? to see if the imbalance can be helped???

I wish you all the best with your focus, lets hope all gets better for you soon.--Regards Meganjess

• Posted

I had mine done 18 days and have the same problem but have been told by both my consultant opthalmologist (I have a number of other eye conditions) and the eye surgeon that I will be having the other eye operated on in the Very near futures nod i will then not having these problems anymore. Apparently from other people I have spoken to who have had a cataract operation on only one eye you need to see an optician/optometrist ASAP to get a new prescription for your glasses.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply ----did you find when you went into a supermarket or shop (with lots of lights on ) it was so hard to focus .

I have had a test done for glasses , they said wear an hour a day to get use to them --If I can't cope with it due to headaches etc I will be referred back and they MAY do another cataract op on the good eye --although NO cataract at all ---just to get the vision better????

So scared as dont want to ruin my sight ???

Thanks again for you experience and I hope all goes well for you , when you have your second op ---good luck  Meganjess

• Posted

Yes, I am having dfficulties with any form of bright light. I have been told today that my right eye which also has a cataract, thought not so bad, will be done as soon as possible probably mid-November.  One really good thing though since having the cataract done on my left eye is that I do not need glasses for reading now for the fist time since I was 12. I am hoping that this second op will deal with the headaches, etc csed by the imbalance, By the way I do not quite understand how you can have a cataraoperaion if you do not have a cataract!
    • Posted

I agree , but that what I have been told , I will be  referred back to the surgeon, Apparently they dont like to do this, but as the imbalance is 2.5

??? dont know what that really means!!!!! they will have to consider an op??   Glad you have a date for your second op---perhaps keep in touch and let me know how it goes, I am sure it will be so much better

Kindest regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.