Cataract surgery with high nearsightedness

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I am having cataract surgery in 3 days. I have cataracts, but they are very minimal and not really causing vision impairment.. I was choosing to have it because of my astigmatism and bad vsion, I am not a candidate for lasik.  I have been doing a lot of research on the success rate of cataract surgery of paitients with high nearsightedness. I am really getting anxious because there seems to be a lot of risk involved. My eye Dr did say that he is dealing with human tissue and there are no guarrantees, but he didn't mention how much more at risk I am. Has anyone here have good results with high nearsightedness? : )

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have no vision problems and it is a question of wearing glasses, stick with glasses and avoid surgery.
    • Posted

Glen, I wear contacts during the day and my glasses at night. I see perfectly with them. I thought that vision correction with catarac surgery was as successful as lasik, but I think that is not the case. I was worrying because of how bad my eyes are. I was thinking as I get older my eyes would be in worse shape to do the surgery. I have been doing a lot of praying about it. I have already started taking the eye drops, my surgery is in 3 days. I am not feeling good about it and know they wont like me canceling. Thanks
    • Posted

You currently have no vision issues that you cannot correct with glasses or contacts. What you are comtemplating can lead to complications. People on this forum would not be here if they were happy with their outcome. While risk is low, there is risk and I would take glasses over my surgery any day if the week. Do what you think is best for you but do not take your doctors feeling into acoount. This is your vision and not his and you will live with outcome either good or bad.
    • Posted

Thank you Glenn! I do believe I am going to cancel. I was doing a lot of research, but I really wanted to hear from people who have gone through the surgery. I appreciate your time! : )
    • Posted

Pam. I cancelled the same day as my surgery so dont be afraid to do that
    • Posted

Always listen to that inner voice.  I knew absolutely that surgery was for me. Contacts or glasses would have corrected my vision till the cataract started  to grow again.  I waited two years and practically ran to the operating room.  When it is right for you, you'll know.
  • Posted

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes last Fall. I was extremely near-sighted all my life, particularly in my right eye, and have astigmatism in both eyes. I was hoping to become glasses-free from cataract surgery. However, that's just not feasible with astigmatism. Catract surgery did significantly improve my distance vision (though not to 20/20) but my close-up vision became horrible. Bottom line is I still need to wear glasses. My thoughts on your situation -- get catract surgery only if you need it due to the condition of your cataracts. Also, I had some post-op complications (now gone) wholly  unrelated to the above. However, those are always a possibility.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Songbill! I was planning on getting the monvision, which is of course, one eye for distance and the other for close up. Do you think that would make the difference? I really am not having, (I don't believe) complications from cataracts. I have been told I am begining to have them and would qualify for the surgery. He told me I would lose my, what he called, my magnification close up vision. That did sound scary to me, since close up has always been the only real vision I have on my own. Did you wear glasses before? I wear hard gaspermable contacts and glasses at night. I have really bad astigmatism as well. thanks again!
    • Posted

I was always wore glasses (with progressinve lenses) and was  pretty much in the same boat as you -- real bad near-sightedness with astigmatism, but able to see things close-up really well. However, last year my catracts got so bad I had no choice but to have the surgery . Since the catracts didn't bother me for a number of years, I waited until they were really bothersome and the doctor said "OK, it's time to do it.".

As for the monovison surgery option, I know what that is because my brother (who doesn't have atigmatism) chose that option. However, I thought that the monovison surgery technique won't work for people who have astigmatism. i may be wrong, but that's the impression I'm under. I'd thoroughly research that if I were you.

I was miserable for months after the surgery on the second (right) eye due to some complications. Also, my once great close-up vision is now horrible (without glasses). Catract surgery won't fix you to the point of being glasses-free and you always run a possible risk of complications. The only reason to do catract surgery, in my opinion, is to fix catract problems. Don't expect it to do more than that.  In the end, you yourself have to make a judgement you feel most comfortable with, after considering all the risks and rewards. Good luck! i hope all goes well whatever you choose to do.

• Posted

Thank you again Songbill! I am feeling the same way. Cataract surgery for vision correction is not the right reason. It should be cataract complications first. thanks for your time! : )
  • Posted

What is considered high nearsightedness?  The cataract on my left eye was also very small, but the doctor said it was causing my nearsightedness to get worse.  (This in contrast to the cataract on my right eye which was quite large). I put off having the left eye done, waiting for it to get bigger and was pretty miserable because of the poor vision

i can can now see fine, both distance and up close, though I do have glasses to make my night driving easier.  I don't see 20/20 but am quite content that I don't need any type of glasses

• Posted

Thanks for your reply!  He told me that I was in the less than 1% of having this bad of nearsightedness. I have done a lot of rearch and it seems that with high myopia (which is what I am) there seems to be more of a risk for not seeing as well. I am just concerned because. I am choosing the surgery myself. I was choosing it for vision correction. I am not sure it makes sense to take the risk if I am seeing well now. : ) I was picturing my down the road 75 yr old person, who wished I had done it when I was younger lol
  • Posted

Before  my surgery I only  needed glasses for reading and that was only on smaller print.  My distant was okay.  But now since my second surgery my vision is bad near and far.  The Dr. is fast to remind me that I was hoping not to wear glasses at all, and he said because he corrected my vision for reading it made my distant vision blurry.  My catacts were the fast growing kind and I needed the surgery.  Like glen45723 said avoid surgery, but listen to your heart only you know best.
    • Posted

Thanks Adelaide! I have done a lot of praying the last few days .  ..and I do believe finding these answers could very well be my answered prayers. thanks for your time! : )
  • Posted

Hi Pam. I recently had cataract surgery and had both astigmatism and extremely near sighted. The cataracts got bad quickly and my eye dr was concerned i would not be able to pass a vision test for a drivers license. I am 58. Even with my glasses and contacts my vision was 20-55 and dull. I was excited to qualify for insurance paid surgery. What i read about extreme near sightedness is that there is higher risk of retina detachment. The surgeon confirmed this to be true so did a thorough exam of my retinas prior to the surgery. I had complications with both surgeries but week 4 my first eye is doing well. I go back tomorrow to see if my second eye is stable enough to determine final vision. Cutrently the eye with the most astigmatism is 20-40 which where i live means no glasses for driving. My s cnd eye is 20-25. Which is amazing. It is a personal decision based on your circumstances. I had no choice so even with the complications i am thrilled with the outcome. As for problems if you wait most cataract patients are in their 70s and 80s
    • Posted

thanks Linda!  one of the reasons I was going to have it done was to avoid doing it when I was 70- 80 yrs old. I was thinking my eye would even be more unhealthy. If I was having trouble with seeing now because of cataracts then its kind of a no brainer. My Dr sure didn't have any problem with me getting now. thanks for your time! : )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.