Cataracts/Migraines

Posted , 4 users are following.

What causes post-cataract surgery migraines/headache? I see a lot of people complain about them.. is there anything we as patients can do to help mitigate these risks? Does having a big vision difference between the eyes after cataract surgery relate to this or perhaps say if one was to hold off till a cataract in one eye was too mature and then p[proceed with surgery are they more prone to post-cataract complications such as chronic headaches?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have always suffered from migraines (due to barometric pressure). Any rapid change in weather will bring it on.  Did you suffer migraines prior to surgery?  Migraines are different than headaches.  If there is a lot of difference between your eyes/vision that can cause double vision/headaches.  Does your 2nd eye have a cataract?   If not and you only needed one eye done you should be able to get glasses or contact lens to balance your eyes out.  If that doesn’t help sometimes Medicare  will cover cost of second cataract surgery.
  • Posted

I think that if there is a significant difference in the prescription (more than 1D or so) of the 2 eyes and one uses glasses, the different sizes of the image on the retina can cause double images as well as headache etc.  Use contact lenses, as needed, can improve the situation. The other is to not try to achieve the best distance vision in both.eyes, when using glasses, to keep the difference in the 2 eyes glasses prescription small. As an example, if the operated eye prescription is plano, while the unoperated eye prescription is -2.0D for distance, just use -1.0D glasses for the unoperated eye.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.