catching my breathe

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been getting anxiety attacks for years now, and I suppose im used to them,,but in the last

few months I seem to be feeling anxious every day , with breathing problems , I find it hard to catch my breathe and relax, I have had lots of checks ups and all my doctors do is confirm what I

already know..its anxiety disorder..my question is ,does anyone one else have these breathing problems where you keep gasping and trying to catch your breathe..and any tips on how to deal with this,,thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi just this weekend my breathing has been terrible I can't breathe properly am wheezy pleghmy and very tight chested it's really freaking me out. I had a spirometry back in October and that was fine but I'm scared of it xxx 
    • Posted

hi mango. sry to hear you had a bad weekend, i found this site last night, ( im new to internet ) and checked out a few sites about anxiety , and had a few chats in forums just like this,and when i did go to sleep , 6,ish this morning..i managed to get a good few hours sleep , and i woke up feeling ok,,ish..of course my anxiety is still in back ground. but i think discussing it with other people who feel and know how i feel , really helped..hope you start to feel better , and thanx for reply..
  • Posted

hya, yes for me that is one of my main symptoms, and the more i think about it the worse i get, i also end up swallowing and gulping air which puts pressure on my diaghram and lungs, its reaaly hard to try and let ya breathing be normal, i know how u feel. ggod luck x

• Posted

yea , when i try and catch my breathe , the same thing happens to me too...and when i eat , that can be a big problem, because sometimes i try and gasp for air when my mouth is full. not a good idea..lol..its not so bad during day .  but at night...wow..it can get very full on..but as i said in another post, im new to the internet world..and glad i found these forums, im sad other people suffer what i get , but at same time, im glad i can discuss my symtoms with others who are going through the same thing..hope you feel better and thanx for replying..
    • Posted

Hi Lesley since I've had these breathing probs I've got really bad pains in my ribs and upper tummy and upper back is that somehow related then xx 
    • Posted

hi mango, absolutly without a doubt, its trapped air, very painfull and doesnt move, about 3 weeks ago i sat onthe ede of the bed most of the night with the same thing, not pleasant xx

• Posted

Hi gladies,

anxiety can cause rapid breathing which leads you to have difficulties breathing. This is called a panic attack.  Using a paper bag over your mouth can help you to regulate your breathing and slow it back to normal again. Make sure is paper and not plastic though and only put it over your mouth so that you can breath normally through your nose as well.  If this works Ok then you should have sorted out your problems breathing.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.