Catheter problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

My catheter has started to leak from my urethra when I open the valve to drain it. Does anybody know what this means?

I called the hospital who said don't worry come in as planned tomorrow for the trial without catheter. But now I'm panicking in case it's not going to work.

thanks for any advice you may have.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It sounds to me as if it has moved and is no longer stable and not draining your bladder properly. When the valve is closed is there any leakage?
    • Posted

Hi Matron, no it only leaks when I open the valve. Does it matter if it's like this overnight? I read it could be a bladder spasm??

I have another question you might know the answer to, when I empty with the valve sometimes it takes ages and ages to drain, does this mean my urine stream will be like this afterwards permanently or is it just due to having a catheter or a short term affect of the surgery?

thanks for your help x

• Posted

Please don't worry about the length of time it takes the catheter to drain. I think the catheter has moved and is no longer completely in place. There's no way the stream will be like that after the catheter has been removed. You'll be ok overnight so try not to worry x
    • Posted

Thank you that puts my mind at rest! I will stop panicking now x
  • Posted

My guess is that swelling has gone down, so it's not filling the space as well, but this is pure guessing.  I really don't know!  Lots of luck for tomorrow - I hope it's all fine:-)  Do let us know how you get on:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.