Catheters,Drugs and Operation times

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all,

Firstly a big thanks to all those posting stories on here.I have spent two days reading up and there are some very brave people who i wish only the very best for.

I am wondering if anyone can help me.I am very very depressed over things at the moment to the point even of wondering if i can carry on.

For the past year or so on occasions my bladder seemed to have felt a burning sensation that would keep me awake some nights all night.Docs though over active bladder or prostate.Few weeks back the stream became very poor so they put me on Tamulosin.4 days later the stream became strong again which was great but a month later it eased off back to the way it was but doc has kept me on it.Late last week though bladder cramps got very painful and saw a doc who put me on Oxybutynin to ease them.As the weekend progressed it did not help them monday night i realised i could not pee at all! I ended up at A&E who put a catheter in and kept me overnight.

I am 44 and have been sent home with the catheter on and feel totally lost over it.My gf is very supportive but just feel this will end things.I have to go back to the trial without catheter clinic next thursday and Urologist suspects prostate even though he says i am to young.I did have it measured about 6 months back and was only 25g which is nothing compared to many here but symptoms have got far worse over the past month.

All in all urinary issues have gone on about 2 years but did anyone else juust suddenly hit a quick time where they got retention and also did were they able to pee after having the catheter out?I will have had it in about 9 days when i get seen.

Also in the UK does anyone know the length of wait for NHS prostate surgery roughly because i fear if i have to be catheterised again long term its going to push me over the edge as i have shut myself away.

I am so sorry sounding rather dramatic but i am just so scared and all this has come as a huge sudden shock.

0 likes, 164 replies

164 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi John, 

I'm so sorry to hear about your issues. What doctors have you seen? What is their diagnosis? What are their recommendations?

I toltal understand the depression side. It's quite depressing to suddenly have a catheter attached to you. Not only is it very uncomfortable, but it's tough to live that way.

It also sounds like you may have a bladder or urinary infection. Have they checked your urine and cultured it to see if you have an infection? That could explain the burning sensation.

Also you may wish to look into Self catheterization until you figure out what's going on. Just search this forum for that. The doctor can teach you how to do it easily. At the very least you'll be able to empty your bladder whenever you wish, and it should not interfere with your relationship with your girlfriend. You'll have nothing to wear, and you can esume all of your normal activities.

Once you have a diagnosis, you may wish to get a second opinion. If the issue is  a large prostate, you should look into PAE, not prostate surgery. Do some research on PAE. Again check through this forum.  Do not do Prostate surgery until all other alternatives have been reseached. Unfortunately, urologists earn their money by surgery, but that's never the best alternative, esecially for someone at your age.  

Hang in there. Do lots of research. But really look into self catherization. 

• Posted

Hi Greg,thank you so much for such a great post.Docs have been very vague the past times i have seen them as an out patient.One of the Urologists team said Over active bladder and the other said might be prostate.....MIGHT! Had a few DRE's in the past and all normal but this time round no DRE or PSA but could be because they want to do the other tests but do find it puzzling why they did not do that while in hospital!

Have you done ISC Greag?What does it feel like?Is it painful?

• Posted

Hi. You have my sympathy. I had a HoLep done 3 years ago which was a total success. This procedure was matched to my very large prostate. Before that my excellent urologist found I had a large lobe protruding into the bladder which was part of the cause for my slow stream. He found this very quickly using a TRUS probe on the couch 'While-I-Waited'. He started me on SIC (Self Insert Catheters) which weren't painful but I realy disliked. One day neither my excllent uro nurse nor myself could get the SIC in due to the protruding lobe so panic ensued and my urologist inserted a supra public catheter (in the lower stomach) there and then. That went well and I had it for 3 months and it was removed at my Holep. In many ways I preferred the SPC to the SIC ones as it doesn't interfer with sex life and you can pee either way if the old way still works. You just have a tap taped to the thigh during the day and attach this to a bag on a stand during the night. My uro found my bladder was twice normal size due to retention but much to our surprise my urodynamic tests showed it had excellent muscle force still so the prostate op was worth doing and went ahead. I had all of this carried out privately with two superb uro consultants. I've no idea what the NHS wait is. If you live near Cambridge Tevita Aho also does his stuff on the NHS at Addenbrookes and he did mention Green Light as well as HoLep for smaller prostates and I susoect he does that technique as well?

• Posted

John,  doing intermittent self cathering is not painful in my opinion.  I learned to do it on my own after TURP surgery caused a lot of swelling and an acute retention episode that took me to the ER.   Next to a bout with dengue fever in Vietnam, that was the worst pain I've experienced.

I used the intermittent catheter only 6 or so times, and having one always with me for some months gave me real peace of mind, knowing that I would not end up in the ER again, waiting for over an hour for relief.

• Posted

Hello John, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I was 68 when a sudden case of acute urine retention send me to the emergency room. It came on without warning and without any other symptoms. It was a painful drive to the hospital.

A brutal and untrained nurse inserted a catheter which was an extremely painful and bloody affair. 

My doctor took a wild guess that it was an enlarged prostate (BPH) and started me on Tamsulosin. After the catheter was removed, things seemed to return to normal. I have no idea if the Tansulosin is helping or not.

I started reading all I could find on the internet and thanks to what I read, I discovered intermittent self catherization. For me, that seemed like a good defense just in case this retention thing ever happened again. And it did. Inserting the catheter is completely pain free. And once I perfected the technique, there was no blood involved at all. A little blood is considered normal, but with care, can be eliminated. At least in my case.

I bought the Coloplast Speedicath hydrophilic catheters which I find outstanding. In the nine months since the first attack I've had to use self catherization 6 or 7 more times. I've also done it to check for urine retention quite a few times. (I have very little)

My urologist has told me that if I am happy with the way things are, I do not need to have any surgery at this time. And compared to surgery, I am very happy to insert a catheter when I need to.

Having the indwelling catheter with a bag was not fun at all. Self cathing when needed seems much better to me.

I hope this helps. If you have questions, please ask. Everyone is different of course and so is everyone's particular problem.

John

• Posted

John thank you so much for your reply.Actually a couple of times with posts i have read them and the tears stated flowing...so much for a tough guy huh!!!

I am guessing you had the same fear that when they take it out you might not be able to pee?Problem is the tamulosin has not seemed to have worked but they have kept me on it while catheter is in.It did work for a while then stopped working .It is just a real fear of that but your words have helped me alot so thank you so much.

• Posted

We're all happy to help John. I'm glad my post helped. Hang in there. And yes, I did have that fear about not being able to pee. That was a painful experience. That's why I learned to insert a catheter, and carry them when away from home.

John

• Posted

Sorry, about your condition.  I know what you mean about the anxiety, fear and depression.  I was there not too long ago, myself.  I had to wear a catheter for around 3 months, and it's an uncomfortable feeling.  EVery time I moved, I could feel the catheter inside of my body.  I couldn't sit in a chair, without feeling the catheter.  I would eventually sit on the chair, with just the edge of my butt, to lesson the uncomfortable feeling.

I went to see my uro, yesterday, and he sent me home with catheters.  I must now self cath, because I can't urinate on my own. Actually, it's pretty good. I feel a lot better now that I can void using the catheters.  It's better than having the uncomfortable feeling of not emptying the bladder, and always, worried about where and when the next restroom visit will be.  Eventually,you'll be fine...just hang in there, your uro's will figure it out.  In the mean time, I suggest you read Larry Clapp's book: "Curing Prostate Cancer in 90 Days."  I am pretty sure about the title of the book.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your words Dennie,i really appreciate that but am so sorry you cant now pee on your own.May i ask why you cant?Is it now an issue with the bladder?
    • Posted

I think so.  I don't think the uro knows either.  He is a very good surgeon, but as far as why the prostate and or bladder does and act the way it does, I believe is still a mystery, even to doctors.  Hopefully, my bladder, will strengthen, and I will be able to urinate on my own.  It's not that bad, even if I have to do this for the rest of my life.  With practice, it will become a routine, and so should be easier than it is now...and I get to have a healthy bladder, that is not holding urine, that should be gone from the body!

• Posted

My heart goes out to you my friend.Its a tough way forward but can tell you are someone that will go for it.

• Posted

Mahalo.  I wasn't so tough, a few weeks ago.  Felt sorry for myself.  Hopefully all will turn out for the best!  I will be 68 years old this year, and so I feel like I have more stuff to do.  You take care, and you will be fine as well.  Don't give up!!!

• Posted

What kind of catheters are you using?  Self-lub models, I hope!  :-)
  • Posted

May i ask everyone while on the subject did anyone ever feel like their bladder was burning at times especially at night?It is strange as i have had that but yet the urinating does not burn and only the odd occasion have i had burning after ejaculation.
    • Posted

No never had a burning sensation in my bladder, with the exception a bit of a burn in the tip of my penis when I start the urine stream. This is after my Turp.
    • Posted

Having looked at other forums a fair number say that bladder spasms feel like a burning sensation so wondering if it was Prostate irritating the bladder

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.