CBT

Posted , 4 users are following.

really anxious about starting cbt there going to strip me down to every event thats happened to me, anyone got any good stories of cbt to put my mind at rest, hope ur all  doing as good as you can be xx

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie. 

Your CBT therapist should not focus on why you are dpresses or what went wrong in the past. Though, you will probably have to tell them what's bothing you in you initial visit.  Rather they should focus on solutions and exercises that challenge what we do, how we think about things, and what we do do to make the future better. If you find you therapist constantly making you dwell on the past you need to find a different one because that type of therapy is usually ineffective or can make it worse. 

Hope you feel better soon smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi mark,

Thank you for replying, i had my 1st meeting with my therapist lovely lady, she told me they will put everything into sections and work on each section , i cant help but feel i will have to go back there, i understand i have to to heal. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Go at your pace, don't go anywhere you feel uncomfortable with and you dictate the agenda, that's how it works Julie. Your therapist will have to ask questions to understand your situation but you decide whether to answer or not and only go as far as you want.

CBT is more about thought processes and how you process and deal with them it's not your typical talking therapy, it's very much like Mark suggests. 

Tell your therapist about your anxieties and he/she will be professional enough to know how to approach things.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi aspinan,

I had an hour with my therapist, she asked me how i felt when i spoke of one situation, and the tears came but was great to hear someone ask me how i feel, she told me she will put everything in sections and deal with my thought processes and work on them plus i will be doing things at home that i have to do, she said its 12 weeks course and she can extend it if need be, thank you for replying, im scared probley ,my anxiety again,

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, i started today also. Lucky you getting so many sessions, our local NHS only offer 5!

Anyway, what my therapist said is that they look more at the present day and future rather than raking over old issues. The CBT concentrates more on rewiring the way we think about stuff, so possibly you wont be raking over old issues too much , other than to look at the type of intrusive thoughts you are having. Keep in touch, we can compare notes on how we get on

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi well done on taking this step, im really scared they will take me back to places i dont want to go, but i will do what ever it takes, what did she mean by putting everything into sections.i will defo keep in touch, thanks for replying
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

the sections she put my past in to was "thoughts" "behaviour" "belief" "actions" looked at what was causing the issues by having the most problems caused by what section, mine was my over thinking/thoughts
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up