CBT and anxiety?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm looking into CBT due to lifelong anxiety issues.  I've tried ACT but found it didn't work for me.  Does anyone recommend CBT?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Cbt with therapy is worth tying out. Are you using any medications at all? Cbt is to manage it. Its a managing tool. 
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, no, I haven't tried any medications for it yet.

• Posted

CBT has been helpful to me but I am also on medication.

I consider them both tools to help me have a normal life.

• Posted

That is a great way to look at it and helps me a lot.  Thanks!
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had CBT and it did nothing for me sad I have also had Cognitive Analytical Therapy (CAT) which did help. Medication has helped the most. I'm on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics and both help in different ways.

Your milleage may vary so no harm in giving it a go.

I remember one episode where they said imagine your window latch breaks a week before you go on holiday - how do you feel. I think they were getting at the point that at least it happened a week before and you have time to fix it etc. I panicked that my windows were rotten, I was going to lose my job, and could not sell the house because of the rotten windows, that I would be bankrupt, my wife would leave me and I would grow old alone. No, CBT didn't help me at all.

BW, BM. 

• Posted

Interesting!  Thank you for sharing that example.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.