CBT, medication and diagnosis - HELP!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been suffering with Anxiety for a few months now (officially) and my doctor prescribed me Propanalol to use when I need and referred me to CBT. 

I had my referral assessment at which, as expected, I came out as severe anxiety. But what was unexpected was being told I also have severe depression. I realise they come hand in hand, but I didn't expect it to be so bad. 

Anyhow, that was over 5 weeks ago and I feel like I've just been left to it. Knowing I have depression is really increasing my anxiety and I don't know what to do. I've always been very anti anti-depressants. What should I do and what are other peoples experiences on anti depressants and CBT? 

I just feel so lost and forgotten about! It was 5 weeks ago sad

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  Did they tell you when your first CBT session would be?  It might be worth getting back in touch with your GP as although we'd like to think that they are on the case, you often have to get on to them to get anything done. 

In the meantime there are lots of books about CBT that you could try.  Your local library should have some or if not there's a thread on this forum about helpful books.

I don't have any experience with depression - it doesn't necessarily happen with anxiety - but I'm sure there will be someone on here that can help.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

They said i'd get a letter and nothing came. I've printed stuff of, but the depression side of things is making me more anxious as I don't know what to do about it. I don't think they've told my doctor about it you see sad
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Have you ever analysed the process your mind goes through in order to determine whether it's depression that causes the anxiety or anxiety that causes the depression?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Honestly, the anxiety started from a bad experience in hospital. I have a kidney problem that's hospitalised me loads in the past 2 years. I think the depression is caused by the kidney problems and the anxiety doesn't help. I hope that makes sense. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sounds like a CBT job to me more than anything - the process of which helps you analyse what it is that causes you anxiety in an environmental sense; ie. a sense of time and situation. When it comes to anti-depressants, I'd advise you individually against it purely because what you'd effectively be doing is putting a 6-month cast for a broken leg on a possible 3-month course of physiotherapy for a sprain, if you understand the metaphor. .
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

depression is just another form of mental illness so don't be alarmed. Anti depressants these days are very effective and will ease the symptoms usually about a month into the course once the tablets have established themselves into your system.  So many people in the world suffer from anxiety or depression.  I would bite the bullet and take the medication to ease your symptoms. You should feel better and the Dr can always change to something else if they are not right for you but give it a little time to work first.

Richard

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

"anti depressants these days are very effective and will ease the symptoms usually about a month into the course once the tablets have established themselves into your system"

Of course, other, more effective and helpful treatments are available and medication should only ever been used as a last resort.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I waited 6 years for CBT. There is a long waiting list. But there are things you can be doing in the mean time. The book CBT therapists use and make you work through during your sessions is called 'Overcoming low self esteem, A self help guide using Cognitive behavioural techniques' by Melanie Ferrel. Work up to chapter 4. They advise not to go any further before your sessions. I also have the modules my therapist gave me from another book, which are also really good. I will send you the link to these and you can print them out too... I am also on medication. 40mg citalopram. CBT helped me but i didnt get as much from it as i could due to not clicking with my therapist. I didnt feel totally comfortable with her, which is very unlike me so i duidnt benefit as much as i could have. Make sure that when you start you have a therapist you click with. If you dont, ask to change. Its massively important for you to get the most out of your therapy. Also, engage in all of the homework set. This is just as, if not more important than the sessions. The sessions will teach you techniques to work on, but the hard work will come when you get back home and into your normal routine. If you dont do the homework you wont succeed as well. CBT therapists also evaluate your progress and decide from there how many sessions you need. Because me and my therapist didnt click and i wasnt getting enough out of the sessions i was only allowed 9 (high intensity). I am now going to seek more with someone different. You just have to be patient sad its hard i know, but the waiting list is shorter since i was referred and im sure your are will be different too. They havent forgotten about you though smile it just one of those things. Trust me about the book, and modules. They are  great and they teach youwhat your therapist will also go through. Not only will you be starting sooner by doing this but you will have more of an understanding when you attend your therapy smile...

Medication combined with CBT is always the most effective approach. The medication will help you face your tasks/homework/issues as they will help you feel more stable before therapy takes place. Therefore youll get more out of it. The homework is really testing yourself, not doing the things you have been doing and changing the way you think, from negative to positive. It takes some hard work and will power, but medication will help get you through it.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let me know how you get on smile xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I dont personally like medication  myself either but i was always advised that i would get moree out of my therapy if i was more stable before beginning, as CBT helps you face your issues head on, therefore may increase anxiety while trying so hard... i cant explain things too well, sorry rolleyes xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It depends how strong you are, I guess, as an individual. Comparatively I suppose it's a bit like having a serious physical injury and then being administered morphine whilst you receive treatment.

The difference is of course in that example that morphine is virtually an instantaneous form of pain relief whereas the medication (often) for the pain you experience with depression isn't. There is that gap that feels like a lifetime between when you begin the course of medication and you begin to feel better that allows the medication to stick it's fangs deeper and deeper into you all the while more effective treatment sits waiting in the wings. The reality of the situation is, however, that in the grand scheme of things medication doesn't make you better in the long run because all the while you use it, the longer you spend on a crutch rather than learning to stand up on your own two feet, and it's a devil attempting to get off it. More often than not people find themselves gravitating farther and farther towards different medications because they can't cope with the withdrawal symptoms, and thus the cycle begins again.

I have a thread that discusses the idea of learning to deal with depression and anxiety called 'To Medicate or To Not Medicate' if you're interested in reading some more theory on it.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Get in touch with them and chase it up! Notes and letters do go missing sometimes. Find out.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up