Celexa

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone tried Celexa or any other antidepressant for perimenopause?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura, I tried Lexapro for 3 months.. I have migraines and vertigo. Dr thought anxiety related... but it made the vertigo worse. So, we scrapped that theory. I am now on amitryptyline 10 mg for migraines...which is an old tri cyclic AD, but at low doses can help with migraines and nerve pains, etc. Also, going back on BCP, once my very late period decides to come! If you do try an AD, just be ready for the side effects. They can be beastly for some! Good luck!

• Posted

I was offered that, but declined. I have heard mixed reviews on it, and I am not big on taking meds unless it is life or death situation. My opinion is if you are unable to function, leave your house, feel suicidal, then this would be the way to go. A lot of us on here are struggling more with hormone fluctuations and our crazy symptoms, which cause huge anxiety as we don't know what is happening to us.We are all more stressed out, and meds don't always fix that, and can cause unwanted side effects. This again is my personal take on it, and you have to do what is right for you. Have you tried everything else, counselling, behaviour therapy, yoga, meditation, essential oils, supplements, tweaking your diet. So many of us have been able to cope better with just these few things. There is also great therapies out there that help relax the body, acupuncture and reflexology, Chinese medicine are great for bringing the body back down to relaxation mode. I think this is a personal choice, what works for one may not for the other and same goes for meds, you will have to try and see for yourself. I know several women taking antidepressants and it has either helped or it has made them worse, one I know is so dependent on them and can not wean off them and she lives in constant anxiety and parinoia. Not much help, but just wanted to show you many options out there.

• Posted

Going to try one more time as my other didnt post.I think this is a question that only you will know once you try as everyone reacts differently to these types of meds. A lot of our anxiety is caused by the fluctuating hormones, and the symptoms going on in our bodies, we never know what is what anymore and it brings on a lot of unwanted stress which leads to anxiety. Have you tried other things, like counselling, behaviour therapy, essential oils, meditation, yoga? There are great therapies out there as well that are calming, like acupuncture, Reflexology are wonderful and no side effects. If your anxiety is severe then meds would be the way to go, if you are unable to function daily, can't leave your house kind of anxiety. Most peri anxiety is hormonally driven.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.