change from venlafaxine capsules to tablets

Posted , 11 users are following.

Having suffered from depression on and off most of my adult life I finally found venlafaxine prolonged-release capsules and life has been soo much better. None of the emotional numbness that came with seroxat: just a feeling of beeing almsot normal. Normal highs and lows - not too dramatic and the ability to go to work, cope with stress, divorce, kids - bliss. Last year however, the pharmacist gave me the tablet form, not the capsules and I went very dramatically and rapidly down, to the point of nearly being hospitalised for bad behaviour/anger. Coincidentally I came to the end of the batch and my new prescription put me back on the capsules and lo, within hours I was feeling more myself again. After a couple of weeks dim-witted me put 1 + 1 together and mentioned to my GP that I thought the tablet form didn't suit me and could I please have the capsules from now on. No problem she said. However, a few weeks later the head of the surgery rang to ask me what was my problem with the tablets. There is no difference, she said and because the tablets are cheaper, that is what you'll get from now on. I got a new prescription 5 weeks ago and am now screaming up the walls. Saw my GP this morning. She re-itterated that there is absolutely no difference between tablet and capsule but that I would have to wait at least 6 weeks before the drugs started to take effect. Why - if there is no difference, should I have to wait 6 weeks? I begged her to put me back on the capsules and she said no. I let the surgery sobbing my heart out and retching with distress. No-one came to ask if I was OK - they just let me leave. How do I persuade my GP that I NEED the capsules and that there must be a difference. I know nothing about chemicals. I can't explain it in technical terms. I only know how I feel; that I am sure it is not a coincidence and I need some help. Anyone had similar experience and can anyone tell me how to get my GP to listen to me and help me??

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have a fab doctor and since going on the tablets i may have mentioned previously i am constipated and tge tablets are come out whole un my stools. Well i got myaelf ready to see hee Friday and explained it was getting me down and that I had been on tgese forums abd that it could becto do with me nor digesting the properly and she agrees i did mention that i heard they come un capsules and she had no hesitation in giving me a perscription but to let her know as soon as possible if they work as they are expensive ans i said funny you should mention that and i tild her of your stort and shes a diamond she said thats not a issue for me she said. I tell yiu half the battle with health is not the pills but getting the right doctor. She lustens to me and has patients pardon the pyn. I losr my job rwcently with fm and dep and starting coming out in bruises and sending me for blood teasts for clotting and aneamia. Prev i was told by another doc it was typical of mental health patients to pinch themselves at night. My bowela are better but i can tell ive changed ive been emotional the last 2 morninga and been intears with my husband. My doc said that you were bound to be feeling better on the capsules because you were prob digesting it better and getting the proper dosage if you cant be hinest with them the lie.

• Posted

You are perfectly right the capsules are more superior to the tablets. The cost of the tablets to the NHS are 40% cheaper than capsules. A directive was sent around telling doctors because of the price difference they should give the tablets and told the doctors that they work the same but they don;t. Far more technology is needed to produce the capsules. The capsules are also prolong release which means that as the capsules go through the gut venlafaxine is released slowly by the enzimes in the gut. So you feel better because of that.There is a constant flow of venlafaxine in your system. If you have been given fast release tablets then every 5-6 hrs the venlafaxine halves it strength so you have a changing amout in your system as the day goes on.

​To change from the capsules to the tablets is like starting anew. The brain has to reajust to the difference pattern of venlafaxine it gets.

​You can change surgeries and try and see if they will give you the capsules .otherwise offer to pay for private prescriptios. It s worth spending money on getting the right one..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.