Change of medication

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Well at the Dr's today have been prescribed Venlafaxine 75mg. Have put a post on their group too. Dr advised me to stop citalopram for 24 hours then start this. What does anyone think. I asked would I suffer any side effects etc and was told as I'm changing from one to another I should be ok. If i do suffer any adverse effects to contact her.

Another thing she said following a discussion with the mental health nurse I saw on Monday has got me over thinking which has got me worked up and upset as I'm not sure where they are coming from. I had to leave work early. Now I can't think straight and the water theme is coming back into my head. Will have to get myself enthusiastic for aqua aerobics tonight then hopefully it will make these feelings go away.

thanks Tina x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Venlafaxine  which is a treatment for severe depression and panic disorder and can come in a slow release form maybe what your doctor has given you. You'll be able to see what the possible side effects are from the leaflet contained with the tablets.

What exactly did the Mental Health Nurse say to the doctor that has got you so worked up? Do hope you start to feel better.

• Posted

I;ve read the leaflet all the usual things, just hope I don't feel even more depressed or suicidal.....I think they are slow release ones. It was a long the lines that he thought I must of been depressed before for me to get into this mental state at the age of 54. Maybe it was something he picked up from my assessment and some of the things I said. It has got me over thinking now about my past which was not why i am why i am at present as this is due to the loss of my husband. now I'm in more of a turmoil than i was before. I haven't been given another appointment yet should be next week. I know it might sound stupid but I feel so vulnerable mentally at the moment. 
    • Posted

Slow release are gentler - they take 24 hrs to get into the system then the next one tops it up. Don't worry unnecessarily. As for getting into a mental state at 54. Anyone can get into a mental state from youngsters to the elderly. Perhaps you have been depressed before but it wasn't so dehabilitating as it is now. We all feel vulnerable at times and you don't

sound stupid. Try not to panic and don't be so hard on yourself. Give the new tablets a chance to get into your system and see how you feel after a week or too.

• Posted

Oh Tina darling. You have been so much pain, loss and trauma. Try not dwell on what has been said to you too much otherwise you'll make yourself even more ill. You have lost your darling husband. Your right arm has been cut off. You hurt and as I've said like the others, it takes so much time to heal. Wish I could give you a big cuddle and hold your hand to reassure you dearest Tina. Sending you all my love and some of my strength. Lots of love xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Doloroso, I've been trying all afternoon not t odwell on things but ended up bursting into tears at work, no use to anyone so came home. I've been in a state since. Trying to get my s*** together to go to aqua aerobics see if that helps. i'm not starting these new meds until Saturday night and take Friday night off cit as advised. i'm getting to the point where I am hating all this again and not coping. I can't even think straight anymore. ...............
  • Posted

I have no knowledge of this new med but am sure you will receive some advice and info from the others x
  • Posted

Aaaargh! Righty now listen my love. Life throws all this sh*te at us. You have taken so many steps forward over the last weeks opening up to us all here I believe has unburdened your hell a little (I do hope so). Allow yourself to take a few steps backwards. I guarantee that you WILL find your peace of mind eventually. Easier said than doneBut you WILL. So what I suggest is you find yourself a mirror! Look at yourself and say:"Come on Tina, you CAN do this"! Your dearest husband WANTS you to. Look at yourself in the mirror and smile at yourself! Then go to your pool and chill as best you can. We're all behind you (well behind our computer monitors or whatever)! G-d Bless xxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.