Changing citalopram dosage from 20mg to 10mg.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I have been taking 20mg of citalopram for 3 months. It has made a huge improvement in my moods, however I have not liked the side affects of not sleeping, dry mouth and some others. I have just starting cutting the tablets in half and taking a half dose (10mg) has anyone else tried this or is it an incredibly stupid thing to do? Thanks Paul.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

In all honestly I dont think there is a right answer. It depends if you can cope with just 10mg. My son was very successful halving his dose on his own and is now off them. Like I say. See how you feel. Might suit you better. Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi, I dropped from 20mg to 10mg because of the side effects. I sleep better now, thou i have the odd night of restlessness because of anxiety. If you can manage on 10mg i would stick with it as i find it takes the edge off. I personally rather not have meds but feel at the moment i need a litte help. 
    • Posted

Hi, have you ever tried any other medication for anxiety? and what other coping strategies do you use? I find it almost impossible to cope with and dropping the dose has made me realise just how much I need meds. I too have been reluctant to use medication in the past but simply run out of ideas of how to cope. Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi, The only other meds i have had was for depression and that wa flouxotine. You could go back to your GP if you feel that Citalopram is not helping, every body is different and what suits one may not suit another. I try to keep busy if i am anxious and do deep breathing exercises when the anxiety is happening and lie down for a while till it passes if i am at home. Try to relax when you can. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.