Changing from Citalopram to Venaflaxine

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

So this is my first post on here and i was wondering if there was anyone else who had changed from cit. to ven.

Ive been on an ever increasing dose of cit. since last october and have been on the max dose of 60mg for some time now, have seen an psych and GP and they think that a change in med may help level my mood.

Ive been advised to drop to 40 for a week, then 20 for a week then 20 on alternate days before then starting 75 ven and im not sure what to expect durting this change and was wondering if anyone else had gone through this and could share their experiences of it with me.

I am also on propanalol(?) on an as and when basis alongside this to help with anxiety however the cit/ven is primarily prescribed for my depression.

I am also due to start group therapy tomorrow and am currently waiting for another assessment for one-to-one therapy.

Sorry for waffling on so much but basically i am after any advice as to what to expect during this change and also anyones experiences of being on ven.

Thanks for reading!

H x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi kingohelen, iv been on cit for over 10 years and my husband got very stressed looking after me when i was having a nervous breakdown he was then himself prescribed ven. im very anxious and have panic disorder but my hubby is very stressed and has palpitations we both support each other, in your case i wonder if it was your symptoms that had changed or maybe cit never helped anyway all the best good luck. smile
  • Posted

Hi kingohelen, hey and annemarie,

I went from cit to ven (never had the propanalol, whats that for?)'

The ven has proved to be the best thing (well for now anyways). Am back at work full time, happy, positive and dealing with lifes hand grenaids!

I went from 20mg of cit to 75mg ven, then a few weeks later (as I got very negative and tearfull again), my dr suggested to go up to 150mg. Its so far been very positive, with a real gain in quality of life.

I am happy again at last, and feel back in control of me, and my emotions.

So good luck, and be nice to yourselves

Best wishes M :D

• Posted

Forgot to say, I went staight onto the ven, with no gap or reduction. But then I was only on 20mg of cit and the side effects where still bad. Which is why my Dr did not increase the cit.

Guess I've been lucky with having a good Dr.

M x

• Posted

good to hear from you mushroom, so glad things are going realy well for you. am still on 20mg cit my depression is under control at the min but my anxiety is sooooo bad am realy struggling most days and have panic attacks very often, but we soldier on and tomorrows another day. best wishes stay well. smile
  • Posted

Thank you annemarie,

Even I can't believe the change in me :o

Life is good again, and I'm smiling, well most of the time, both on the inside and the outside (it's was so exhausting just having the outside smile!! and damn near impossible when I lost that).

Sorry to crow and gloat, but hope this is a positive to all that have read my blogs. And to wish all of you that are not in the best of places at the moment, the strength and will to get there (however hard it might seem).

Without a doubt, this site, and all the encouragement from others has helped me to get well. Long may it last

All the best M :wink:

ps: life is not perfect, but its a better place now I feel happy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.