Changing from fluoxetine to Mirtazapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi just joined this group and wondered if anyone has changed fluoxetine meds to Mirtazapine and if so what are your experiences re side effects etc and whether it was worth doing. Have been on fluoxetine for a while and doc has advised to change to Mirtazapine as thinks it should be working by now but I don’t know what to do - just wanna get back to my old self but don’t want to have to start all over again xx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula, i took fluoxetine for 3 months really struggled with the side effects and didn't feel any better , if anything felt worse! After speaking with my gp I stopped, he didnt advise tapering. I still suffered side effects after stopping for another 3 months. Saw a diffetent Dr on my next visit , and explained i was still feeling 'wobbly' and anxious and struggling to sleep he suggested i try mirtazapine. I haven't had any side effects that I've noticed in the 8 weeks I've been taking them , and my sleep pattern has improved. Things are not perfect still get anxious , but nothing i can't cope with . They're worth a try in my opinion. Hope you're feeling better soon, take care Xx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Karen. It is reassuring that you haven’t experienced side effects and from what you have said I guess the fluoxetine will have been out of your system before starting the Mirtazapine. I am down from 40mg to 20mg fluoxetine and doc says stop for 3 days then start Mirtazapine so Hopefully any side effects will be as result of still having fluoxetine in my system. I am pleased that you are obviously feeling better. It is such a difficult condition to cope with but it is so helpful to know that you are not alone x x
  • Posted

Yes the worst of the side effects of fluoxetine were over, but i still didn't feel 'right' . I was reluctant to try anything else ,as I'd suffered really bad side effects with fluoxetine and sertraline before that . It is a difficult condition to deal with , and others don't understand what it's like. I never did . I've also had cognitive behavioural therapy, and that has really helped, especially with the panic attacks . Hope things get better for you real soon Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.