Changing Meds

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on 30mg Mirt for over a year and have decided to start a very gradual withdrawal. Mt Doctor has said she wants Psych to start me on an AD which won't add weight as Mirt has. (2 1/2 stone which has to go) could anyone advise me a what point in the withdrawal that a new AD is introduced as I have to pay each time I see him and want to go at the right time. Also, does anyone have any advise on which replacement would be good. I have to say that this medication has suited me in every way apart from horrendous weight gain.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Evergreen is currently tapering, hopefully she will advise you shortly. I tapered off citalopram to get onto mirtazipine by reducing slowly over a six week period. I adore mirtazipine, although only been on it three weeks...I understand fully about the weight gain, as I'm eating like there's no tomorrow! But it's given me my life back so for now I will not worry about my weight. I am certain I will do down the line.

good luck with your tapering and hopefully you will get some expert advice soon.

god bless xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

3 things ... firstly you need to find out which AD's are compatible with Mirt so that you can take the two together (I only know that Prozac is),

and secondly as you've been on Mirt' for quite some time (a year like myself before I began to taper) the slow taper could take 5 months or so.

3rd On starting up a new AD there may be signs and symptoms of course, so it may be necessary to bear in mind that it won't be easy to differenciate ... if it is withdrawal or is it start up.

Your doctor of P.doc may well say to give yourself 2 to 3 weeks to come off Mirt before starting a new AD, as they aren't always aware that Mirt carried severe WD doing just that.  A slow taper, no more than 10% per month is the best plan. See below for further info::

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

and then click on the link "REDUCING AD'S USING 10% WITHDRAWAL METHOD".     

Wishing you well, take it nice & slow and you'll be fine, just fine x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I am no expert but I would think after you have done a slow taper to 15mg and been stable on 15mg for some time (maybe 4 weeks) then would be a good time to introduce the new AD (as long as it's compatible as Calmer says). This way you will know its the new AD if you get any side effects. Once any side effects from the new AD have gone (maybe a good 8-10 weeks) then you could slowly taper off the rest of the Mirt. I am interested to know how you go so please keep us posted and wishing you all the best smile X Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.