Chest and upper back pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all

i recently had upper back pain over my left shoulder along with the need to constantly clear my throat

had chest xray that came back normal with no further action needed but pain and throat still there

i studpidly googled and now i am scared i have lung cancer

can i have it if the chest xray clear? my anxiety levels have gone absolutetly crazy compounding the back ache and the throat

i put it down to posture and running but the pain in my back wont go away

i read early signs were knee pain and now inhave them too!! so scared

any ideas or remedies would be gratefully accepted

42 year old male ex smoker around 10 years ago

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I understand that this would feel quite worrying but your symptoms don't quite fit with lung cancer. The most common symptoms (although symptoms vary) from person to person are a persistent cough, coughing up blood & pain more often tends to he in the chest region (like an aching feeling). If the tumour was big enough, yes it will usually show on a chest xray. Knee pain to my knowledge is NOT a symptom of lung cancer so please stop googling stuff as this can make you feel worse. It is possible that your symptoms may be being caused by being anxious about having lung cancer although i can't really say for sure. Congrats on giving up smoking by the way. I unfortunately still smoke. 36yrs now but i know i'll do it soon as i live in australia & they are very expensive here. Just one last quick thing. Another symptom of lung cancer is clubbed fingers which i'm sure you don't have. Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry forgot to mention in my last post. Shortness of breath is also another symptom even with the simplest of exertion. You'll be fine. Lung cancer, although not impossible, is not really that common in someone of your age.

• Posted

thank you michelle

been going on for around 5 weeks now its so annoying as really try with my health!!!

i gave up smoking via hypnotherapy - instantly maybe give that a try!

really appreciate your comments and do need to put this anxiety away

it has stemmed also from my uncle who has never smoked been diagnosed with secondary lung cancer after having bowel cancer he is only 50 too!!!

hopefully all in the mind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.