Chest/back pain for 3 months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 27 years old and have never had any major previous health issues.

Exactly three months ago, I began to have chest pain down the center of my chest. Since then, it has begun radiating across my chest as well as down my upper back. There is a constant dull pressure down my chest and upper back, and I also get spasms, severe pressure/tightness, and burning sensations in my upper body. The pain is so severe that I am forced to lie down multiple times a day, and I am unable to work or do normal activities because of it.

I have visited the ER/doctor multiple times, and had the following tests done:

-chest xray

-back xray

-chest CT

-extensive blood work (to rule out inflammatory/thyroid issues)

-endoscopy

All of these tests have come back clear, except that the endoscopy showed evidence of esophagitis. Because of this, my doctor prescribed PPIs and attributed the pain to this. However, 1.5 months into potent acid suppression, I still do not even feel slight improvement. My doctor is supportive but unsure of how to proceed, and continuing on with the esophagitis hypothesis. I am sure that there is something else wrong, but am unable to lead them in the right direction.

Any tips/suggestions would be so greatly appreciated, as my quality of life has greatly diminished because of this. Thank you all for your time!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm also 27 and been having pain on my left side through the back and down my arms for more than 5 months now. It's funny because everything you said pertained to me.

Have you considered GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) as the culprit? Mines kind of went away after diet and gaviscon oral suspention. Although sometimes I can feel slight discomfort maybe because of the anxiety. GERD and anxiety goes hand in hand.

Do you have a FB/Messenger app? I'd like to get an update from you of you don't mind.

• Posted

Yes! Right now, we are actually treating for GERD (with pantoprazole), as well as antibiotics/antiparasitics for a stomach parasite that they found. My doctors aren't sure if the parasite is related to the symptoms, but want to rule it out anyway.

I haven't had any pain relief yet, but I was told that sometimes it takes weeks/months for potent acid suppression, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If the pain doesn't go away, my doctor is planning to run tests for esophageal spasms/motility disorders, which apparently can cause similar issues.

Like you mentioned, keeping anxiety in check does help. I've been anxious about the pain since it started, and it's a vicious cycle but I guess each person has to find their own way of managing the stress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.