Chest infection/Pneumonia symptom longevity?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all,

Looking for some knowledge here in regards to the longevity of pneumonia type symptoms. To give a little background info on my case, I contracted a simple cold virus at the beginning of December with mild symptoms (post-nasal drip, congestion, sore throat). A week into the flu I ended up pushing myself too hard, went for a short run outside (sub zero temps) and then volunteered at an evening dinner. When I got home I felt extremely shaky, fatigued, and broke out into a fever with sweats. In hindsight I should have went to the hospital, but I waited it out and felt slightly better by the morning. By noon I was experiencing pain in my chest when inhaling and coughing up sputum (mucus). The doctor of the clinic I visited, put me on puffers, and prescribed a weeks worth of anti-biotics. This was nearly 2 weeks ago Since then the coughing has greatly subsided, and no more mucus is being expelled when I cough. However I do notice a lingering shortness of breath, especially noticeable if I am a little more active during the day. I am an exceptionally healthy individual, very fit, non smoker, non drinker, but asthmatic. I've heart symptoms lingering on for weeks if not months, and was wondering if this is the case, seeing as I take my fitness very seriously but don't want to aggravate my progress.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I would suggest getting a d-dimer blood test to rule out pulmonary embolism or emboli. I had human pneumovirus at the beginning of the year, which I recovered from but then I started to feel very unwell. I had really bad palpitations, hot sweats and the chills, not being able to take a deep breath, getting breathless and really bad chest pain. I thought I had a bad allergic reaction at first or possibly asthma. I had an ECG, chest xray, they listened to my chest, I had a pulse oximeter, blood tests and everything came back normal. I then got a private CT scan with contrast and found out I had multiple pulmonary emboli. I didn't get it from the virus but I think the virus made it worse, I had milder symptoms for ages before and I think I got it from this contraceptive pill I used to take. You can still be fit and get a PE or PEs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.