Chest pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have constant dull pain in the centre left of my chest. I will then get the odd shooting pain which scares me. I end up constantly rubbing my chest and people have picked up on it. I cant help but rub it the pain just dont go away. Anyone no a way to get rid of the chest pain

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you been checked completely? Are you on any medications? This is common with anxiety, but you want to make sure.
  • Posted

I have just been to A+E today with the exact same. Just couldn't ignore it any more. Had the usual tests and were ok. They said my hearts fine and that anxiety/stress can cause the pains. Just like anxiety/stress can cause headaches. They also said it could be a muscle strain but defo not heart....maybe same with you Tom. I'm guna see if it passes. Hope it does for u
    • Posted

Hi Aidan

What I have replied to Tom, goes for you too. I can understand exactly how you felt, and you did absolutely the right thing by seeking medical advice.

I'm pleased you have been re-assured, but know you will still be feeling anxious about the whole thing. I will be thinking of you today and like Tom, I hope that you will be feeling much better by the time you read this (if you do).

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.... and what a surprise since visiting A+E yesterday and been given all clear my chest pains have dissipated and nearly gone now.....
    • Posted

That is great news Aidan.

Thank you for updating. If your anxiety had been building, it's very likely the reassurance from A&E helped you to gradually let go.

You still did the right thing though to rule out a physical cause.

Best wishes Pal.  :-)

• Posted

Hello Tom

I've just logged on to check for messages and noticed your post. I'm not going to undermine how scary this feels for you, whether it is physical or physcological. If it's phsychological, it still feels 'real'. And it IS real in the sense you can feel it, but it is not necessarily our fear of what it might be.

I felt I just had to send you a message, because purely by coincidence, I am sitting here writing to you and feeling exactly the same. You mentioned "rubbing" your chest. I was doing that before I logged on.  :-)

I have had it before, but it is still scary. Bonnie gave you good advice, as there are some things that need to be ruled out. If you check out some of the resources on this site or others about relaxation, and particularly breathing techniques, this could help to bring you some relief. It isn't the kind of pain that Paracetamol deals with. It is felt physically, but caused emotionally.

You are in my thoughts, and I am hoping that my 'attack' will wear off shortly.

One piece of advice. If you ever get a new condition and you know that you suffer from anxiety, don't presume that is the cause. It probably will be, but you can't make that decision yourself. That's why Bonnie wisely wanted to know if you had been checked for any physical problems.

I hope that by the time you read this, you will be feeling very much better.

Best wishes Buddy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.