Chest pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everybody I'm a 24 year old male. I've suffered from what I think is anxiety that past 6 months. I've somehow learned to control it a little. I used to get palpitations and think I was having a heart attack, after several doctor visits and multiple EKG done on me turns out my heart is fine. I still get sharp pain like needle, burning sensations on my left side of chest sometimes the right side. I can swear something is wrong with me and I start thinking it and there come the palpitations and I feel scared. I had an episode last night at fair. I was paying something in line and I felt a little chest discomfort then I start touching my chest feeling the pulse and I guess I just scare myself. It last about 4-5 mins get better then it went away. I'm just scared for my life I have a beautiful 4 year old girl. I want to feel great and not feel these aches and pains. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms. Btw I'm fine right now and if I go for a mini jog it totally helps. Any advice would help

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

It's like if I posted this post. I've had 6 EKG'S. 7 ER visits since November. I had an ECHO gone, the echo tech said my heart is really healthy and that all of his patients would love to have my heart. So my heart is apparently fine. But I've haven't gotten rid of my chest pain.

Chest pain

Chest tightness

Stinging pain

Shooting pains

Pain that feels like it's my heart.

Pain that shoots in my chest and goes to my back.

Sometimes the symptoms last for days non stop

It's scary man. Cuz you've been told it's not your heart but yet you keep having the symptoms. And when you Google it. All the symptoms tell you heart problems. But I've given up on it. It's easy some days and harder some days. Sometimes I am symptom free and then all of a sudden they come. If you've been checked out then I'm guessing your fine. I recently starting seeing a therapist and it actually helps a bit. I eat better and get out of my comfort bubble that I got myself into Cuz or fear. It helps a little. But it's all anxiety man. I hope you find your answers and a little peace of mind.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I couldn't have said this better myself! I've been to the ER so many times, they know my face (pretty embarrassing!) I have had numerous ekgs, blood tests, an echo, a stress test and a heart monitor but still when I get the pain my anxiety tells me it's something serious. sad

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You've done the right thing by going to the doctor, and having tests done. Knowing that there's no physical problem is half the battle, convincing your mind to accept that is the other half, also the hardest. The majority of us with anxiety have felt some, if not all, of everything you've mentioned. I'm prone to dizziness from anxiety, but when it goes into a full blown panic attack, I'll feel those chest pains, heart palpitations, waves of heat throughout the body, but hands and feet are ice cold, shaking, throat closing (globus sensation), and so much more. The physical effects seem to have more of an impact than the mental aspect. Just know that you're not alone on this journey, and that there's many wonderful people here that relate, and help you through it.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You said some key things, one is "I just scare myself", and the other is a jog totally helps. Both are true with anxiety. It is a fact that what your mind dwells on the body eventually agrees with it. I have to put a damper on my mind and a guard on my words, both to others and to myself. The unconscious doesn't know the difference between what is real and what your conscious is telling it. It is well documented, even to a test case involving a football team, don't remember which one. Divided into three groups, one group practiced as usual, one didn't practice at all and the last group practiced in their mind. The group that did their practices in their mind did as well and a bit better that the group that practiced, when the actual game was played.

This type forum and someone who is assisting you with your problems are the only places you should talk a lot about what's going on. Talking to everyone all the time about it only backfires on us. Silly as it seems watch what you claim for your self verbally and when your thoughts and self talk get carried away, well, what I do is tell them to shut up. You are not your body/mind any more than you are your shirt, or your car. So uptimately, you are the boss. This will take some thinking about.

When they told me 43 years ago that a disease my body had was going to kill me and gave me a time frame. I said to the two doctors, I'm not going anywhere, haven't you ever heard of a miracle? One of them said yes, and I told him I was going to be one, and I am. The first thing I felt to do was watch my words and thoughts and not discuss the situation with anyone except when talking to someone that could help.That inluded family. The second thing was to totally change the way I ate, no junk, sweets, sodas, coffee, only real whole foods. There's more to it but the point is I am still here.

For your mind and your body I would suggest any of the yoga disciplines, a spiritual (not necessarily religeous) martial art, or something like that which appeals to you. Also, hang out with positive people and avoid the negatives. These are two really great ways to start getting on top of the anxiety. You may need or want a mild anxiety drug for a time.

I am doing what I suggested to you and am doing well, but the truth is both of these things take committment (to yourself) practice and time. You will have something to focus on other that what your mind and body are trying to convince you of. The mind only knows what it has already experienced, dislikes change and thinks that what was is supposed to be what is now. Your job is literally to change your mind.

As recently as 8 days ago, I thought the anxiety would actually drive me out of my mind or in front of a bus. I remembered what I knew from past experience and from what I taught my students and clients. It still works. As to drugs, the doctor changed my blood pressure meds to one that also helped anxiety. That helped. In my case I know what brought this on...another doctor's not knowing that cold stopping a med I had been using was a horrible mistake. It may be weeks or months until this totally goes but in the meantime I do the above, an go to a wonderful counselor where I can discuss what this feels like and how scary it is, and he helps. Most of my friends, neighbors and family do not know what's going on. They are not equipped to help, so I see no reason to burden them and make them worry.

Think about all this. Does it feel right for you? Does something inside feel drawn to this? If not drop everything I just said. If it rings true, give it a try and start now. People care about you and you can add me to that number. Treat yourself well, and feel free to ask questions or just to talk.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi cia thank you for sharing ypour post I too believe in the power of positivity and yes I believe in miracles. I had an appointment with my doctor the other day to cut a long story short I have had anxiety and depression for years this time was the worst episode I have gone through and it did bring me to my knees. but I went on medication (im a believe in holistic therapies to and the power of prayer). I am also going through the menapause so double whammy. any way although im on meds I take suppliments and use aromatherapy oils I meditate and try to turn any negative thoughts into positive ones and i know this will no longer control me i am going to control it. she was so pleased and shes aware i take alternatives too. I too suffered from the pains the palpatations and at one time I became a little paranoid but I fought and fought. I know I will always have it but it wont contol me anymore like it has in the past as im contol it!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I appreciate your feedback. I, too, use essential oils. What a blessing. I praise your courage and determination. I am a great fan of alternative medicine . You sound like one strong, lovely lady, Sue. The world and this forum is lucky to have you in it. All my respect heads your way. Thank you.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi J erry,

I don't think this is anxiety - I am positive that it is. You had all the tests, which was the right thing to do, bt you're still getting some intermittent symptoms  - and they all, each and every one of them, sound like anxiety.

This will go away, or you'll learn to control it - so it doesn't take over your life. Take the advice of the other people qho left you mesages. It's something that you mustn't give the upper han to - you have to control IT.

All the best, and keep posting so we know how you're doing

Love Tess

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jerry,

I wrote you earlier, and I see that you have gotten good info. from people who I have grown to respect for their good advice. In my previous parctice I came across many clients who kept asking everyone what to do until they heard what they wanted to hear. What is it you want to hear? The help you asked for is right here and right on. Now, my love, the decision is yours. We can put the answers out there, you have to decide if you really want help or if you are still in the stage of just talking about it. Do you trust yourself in your own hands? Can you trust yourself. Will you? You have a lot of people rooting for you and believing in you. Now may be the time to step up and take action, right now. We are on your side and want to hear how you are doing, and what you are doing. I know you have the courage in you to step into a new way of thinking and living. If you decide not to, and that is your perogative, n o t h i n g  w i l l  c h a n g e. You don't want that, Let today be be the first day of a new way of thinking, living and doing. Don't be afraid to really step out into life. Lighten up and jump.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up