Chest pains

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi can you pls tell me are these chest vpains are normal with reflux mine are when walking etc and resting bit worried thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would go to the doc. I went yesterday to the dr because of heartburn. Check it out
    • Posted

Just want to see what's going on.   Really bad heartburn for 4 days.  Ate wrong choice of food combined with stress.  I'm taking ranitidine,tums,ginger ale and apple cider vinegar. Be well
  • Posted

Hello Debi,

Reflux pains and discomfort can be and often are prolonged, whether you are active or resting, but sometimes resting and relaxing can ease some of them. It can also depend upon how severe a problem a person's reflux illness is.

My trouble is gastritis, and the measures which help me to be better than I was are below, though improvement can take time and setbacks can occur easily. These kinds of troubles are very hard to accommodate and adapt to, but stress naturally makes that and the illness itself worse, so avoiding that as much as possible is best. Best wishes.

Several small/medium meals per day (I have seven, one every two hours or so), rather than fewer bigger ones, so you don't overfill your stomach. Eat relaxed, chew well. Be sat upright for and after meals, not bent or reclining, so you don't squash your stomach and press its contents upwards.

Fried foods, high-fat foods/meats, dairy, high-salt foods, spicy-hot foods, tomatoes, carbonated drinks, caffeine, alcohol and chocolate can all impact on stomach and reflux troubles for some people, so personal experimentation is key to see what is bad for you. Minty foods relax the lower oesophageal muscle which can let acid up easier, so they are bad. I use a fruity toothpaste.

Wholewheat bread, cereals, bananas, hardboiled eggs are a few of the foods that suit me, but there are pulses, rice, various beans (not kidney beans apparently) and many other things to try. Chicken is one of the best meats due to its lower fat content, though even that can hit me and is not eaten lately.

Stress, excercise and bending activity that pressure and squeeze the stomach are also to be avoided. Be as calm and stress-free as you can.

Having your last meal a few hours before bed can prevent or lessen reflux at night, but I found that waiting to be too empty caused hunger discomfort and kept me awake. Because of this I lie-down about an hour and a half to two hours after last meal, and this is much better. I lie raised a bit on three pillows, on my right side, which is best for me, though the left side is usually recommended. Other people raise the bed-head itself about 6 to 8 inches.

Another thing that helps me greatly is to not burp after ten minutes after eating, as this can bring acid up and cause heartburn.

• Posted

Thanks paul great helpful suggestions. I shall look and try these. I guess stress not helpful its so hard not to have any! Looking back this seems to pop up at stressful times .thanks again
  • Posted

Yes it is quite normal sometimes it is not need after meals. Whenever the acidity produce too much it causes pain. However in your case, you should have your heart check with GP for to me it seems you have heart problems not reflux. Mine is between the low part of chest bones. So it may relate to reflux. Go to check with GP now do not leave it long.

All the best.

• Posted

Debie the cardiologist i went to (also had severe chest pains without heartburn, and the pains bad enought to make me sweat, sometimes woke up in middle of night with chest pains) said that sometimes heart problems are easy to misdiagnose as reflux...so did a whole lot of tests starting from step 1 ecg (showed some non threatening congineital abnormaily) to echo to stress mill test and finally to the cardigram (dye injected in arm vein and monitored on a screen). All came back as fine (mildly regurgitating mitral valve..but no concern). Conclusion was ...chest pains due to reflux only. Get reffered to a cardiologist as well. Good luck 
    • Posted

dont be scared debi, I just had a very thorough check up because of my age and history of family heart diesease...including both parents (mother had quadruple bypas at the age of 61).  
    • Posted

Hello Debi,

If you do have reflux trouble then that will likely be the cause of the pains. Reflux pains can be very severe in the middle of the chest, both sides of the chest, ribs and so on, and even seem like in the back. Your ECG didn't pick up any anomalies and that is great. But see your doc if you want further peace of mind.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up