chest pains worse than before...pls help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had anxiety and panic attacks a while now with chest pain being the main problem and fears of heart attacks and dying. 

I seem to be having the worst chest pains I've ever had this last couple of days and especially now.

It generally is to the left behind the left breast bone. Now it seems to be everywhere...not a heavy pressure as such just a general pain everywhere...I feel tense and anxious wit it. Quite tired. Easily agitated. Emotions all over the place keep crying at literally anything..if it's not crying its anger. I'm so scared I feel like my days are numbered and I have no control over it. Does anyone else feel like this

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerry I've gone through days exactly like this but it does pass n easily said t calm down u just can't help it! Try ur best not t focus much on it as makes worse.deep breathing usually helps lie down put book on tummy breath in n d book shud move not ur chest n exhale slowly I find this get but look we no its anxiety n we won't die from it keep chin up x 
    • Posted

Thanks pip. There's a part of me that knows deep down its anxiety but there's the other part that says but what if it's this...and I can't stop it. Thank you for the book/breathing tip. Just wish the pains would go away sad thank you for your message x
  • Posted

hi kerry i know exactly how u feel! i have read a few of these forums most have the symptoms i have regarding anxiety but none really focus as much as chest pain as u have with this one, i have literally just come from a & e as about 3 hours ago i had severe chest pain that bad on my left side i was that convinced i was having a heart attack i nearly passed out, that was the worst i have EVER felt, they assured me after having a ecg, my oxygen levels checked and blood pressure checked that its anxiety!! aswell as a bit of chest wall inflammation due to costochondoritis! i am still not convinced that anxiety can cause such physical and real symptoms that i genually thought it was my heart! everytime i have a panic attack i think my days are numbered as i say to myself maybe this time its not going to be a panic attack it is actually a heart attack i just need to convince myself i am going to be ok like all the other times its just so hard to believe when u feel u cant breathe and the pain is so bad!! sorry for rambling on but i just hope i can give someone advice if i cant take my own rolleyes but kerry please let me reassure you i have and go through the exact same thhing as u and u will feel better just focus on ur breathing also if u have a paper bag breath slowly into that to calm down ur breathin as that helps the pain stop slightly and once u have calmed down the pain should subside and gradually ease, i really hope this helps as i really do know exactly what u are going through i wouldnt wish it on anyone! im only 22 and these hav just started recently over the past few months i just want to be me again so please kerry as i say keep reassuring yourself u are going to be ok even try singing your favourite song to occupy your mind and not focus on ur heart i know im giving you advice but cant take it myself so i really hope i have helped hun, please message me anytime u want a chat even in private and ill be happy to talk to u smile also have u taken any medication or have u been prescribed anything from ur doctor? take care x
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing this with  me I know it's such a horrible position to be in. I'm glad on your return from a&e you are ok but know how terrifying it is. I too took myself to hospital back in may as was convinced i was having a heart attack.

I also find it easier to give people advice yet still sit here and suffer myself.

I really do appreciate  you taking the time to message me this and nice to know you understand the chechest pain side of things in relation to anxiety.

Same goes to you too if you would ever like to private message me to get some advice or reassurance then that's OK smile

• Posted

Aww glad its making u feel a little better and thank you I appreciate it yeah deffo is horrible and u don't know the feeling unless u have experienced it so its comforting to know im not alone but bad that your suffering too, we Will get through it I haven't tried the sertraline but doctor prescribed propanolol but im scared of taking them as I did a big mistake of reading the side effects sad go back to doctors hun and tell him your struggling with the tablets I got prescribed also Diazapam 2mg but then again they are really addictive so I have only took them once just want something thats going to make me feel like me again ; ( x
    • Posted

That's the trouble with most of these tablets the side effects seem to all be what I already am suffering with so tend to make me feel worse. I think i will go back soon just to see what other options there might be. Ive had a few people mention CBT to me so that might be an option.

Like you say I'm glad you understand despite not wanting you too feel like I do. It's very difficult to explain it to someone who hasn't gone through it. I've ended up telling my work I have a cold on some  days off as they wouldn't understand!

Hopefully we will both get sorted and feel much  better soon

• Posted

Im the exact same kerry can't believe im speaking to someone with exact same symptoms it's like I still feel hospital have missed something on the ecg or blood tests but they assure me it's definitely anxiety I hate feeling like this as im sure you do too im laid in bed at the moment I can feel my heart racing and the pain is slowly coming back sad so scared of going to sleep its ridiculous I love sleep haha but no its getting too much now im also the same I didn't think my work would understand about anxiety I thought they would just assume its nothing but do u get pain worse when your about to go sleep or any other symptoms worsen on a night? X
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. I've had ecgs, blood tests,  scans, xrays and a gastroscopy but yet everyday I'm conviconvinced they must have missed something.

You're fine hun honest they wouldn't have sent you home if they thought something was wrong. I know it's difficult to tell yourself differently though. 

Night times are my worse but I think that's because it was night time when I had my first ever panic attack. I'm sure lack of sleep isn't helping to the anxiety either.  I get the heart racing thing sometimes feels like I can feel my heart pounding then I get the chest pains and the panic sets in and I'm wide awake worrying sad

• Posted

Same but like I say im still convinced that they have missed something that its driving me insane like they know what they are doing so I just need to accept that im fine but its hard it really is like I say im laid in ned now mind going overtime thinking of every little thing that I can feel also my first panic attack was night time so I wonder if its linked iv also got shooting pain in my left  arm and feel sick I think what also petrifies me is the symptoms from anxiety are all exactly same as heart attacks!  I don't know we are going to beat it soon just stay positive smile where abouts are you from hun im in Yorkshire x
    • Posted

There's something I Google once I think it was heart attacks vs panic attacks it was actually quite useful. Just try relax hun, deep breathing and try get some sleep. Like you say they are professionals so we just need to try and listen. It's got to get easier at some point. I'm from Cornwall hun smile I find stressful or worrying times also make me feel 10 times worse
  • Posted

Oh also Laura they prescribed me amitriptyline which didn't work for me and then sertraline which I am currently struggling with sad  
  • Posted

Yes .. You are not alone .. I feel like its my last day often. But its not and its very frustrating. I JUST WANNA LIVE... LOL 
  • Posted

Argh, another bad attack tonight. Chest pain kept building and building and ended up in tears and unable to breath felt really dizzy and tingly hands again..so so horrible I can't bare this anymore. How can I feel so hurrendous yet it's not serious sad
    • Posted

Hi Kerrianne. I've felt exactly like this most nights. Just try to relax and concentrate on breathing or a distraction of some sort. You're more than welcome to private message if you would like to if it helps. I suffer panic attacks and mostly chest pains and fear of dying. Here if you need to chat. You are ok just try to relax x
    • Posted

hi kerrianne i was speaking to kerry the other night in regards to the exact same symptoms of what you are going through at the moment, all day i have had chest pain its in the same place but seems to get worse on a night time just took my diazapam so im hoping it sends me to sleep so i dont have to think about it i am so sick of feeling like this as i can imagine everybody is who feels this pain, its hard to tell yourself that its just anxiety when the pain can be so severe i have it right now as i say i have had it all day like a constant ache in my left breast area but my heart is also pounding aswell like its going to jump out of my chest or the feeling you get when you are out of breath i keep trying to breath into a paper bag to slow my heart rate down but its only helping a little bit sad when i get the pain also it can be so bad i go dizzy and literally feel i am going to pass out, you are not alone kerrianne i truly understand how you feel i am only 22 and feel like i am going to have a heart attack sometime soon as hospital and tests say my heart is fine i keep thinking to myself that all this stress is actually going to cause one sad its like a viscous circle i really hope you feel better soon you have a lot of support from people on the forum including me so give me a message if you want a chat x p.s. what painkillers have you tried just to try and take the edge off the pain?
    • Posted

Thanks Laura I had private messaged kerry last night after reading this thread I just feel relieved I'm not the only one feeling like this tonight's been really bad I feel really exhausted from my earlier attack but I've got this horrible sort of twingey achey pain in my upper left arm now which is making me think it must be heart issues that's scaring me the arm pain. It is going round in circles as like you I panic I get stressed then get told I'm ok then I don't believe it so get more stressed and think that will cause a problem
    • Posted

your exactly the same as me hun trust me i have had like a achey sharp type pain in my left breast area which runs to my shoulder and also at the back where the top of my spine the spine bit isnt bothering me as much as the left chest pain i have had it for about 2 weeks now but everyday its there it gets worse at this exact moment my heart is pounding i can feel it in my stomach and in my head if that makes sense its such a horrible feeling as you say it really does make you think its your heart especially when the pain feels like its coming from your heart i really do sympathise with you iv had about 6 paracetamol today its only slightly took the edge off its still there and doesnt have any sign of going away i just know soon as i get into bed thats when i start panicking as i can feel it more when hospital reassure me its just an anxiety attack it makes me llaugh in shock at the fact how can something so painful be caused by something in your mind! iv had 5 ecgs, heart blood test to test for any damage, etc, chest x ray, and apparently they are all fine so why the hell am i still getting these pains is beyond me! sad i am actually scared to go sleep every night in case i dont wake up again sad thats how bad i am getting i absolutely despise feeling like this im only 22 i just wish i could get back to enjoying my life and not worrying when i am going to die! as i say kerrianne im here if you need a chat i may not be able to accept advice but i like to think my advice helps and reassures others is they anything you have tried for pain relief hun? x
    • Posted

The arm pain is freaking me out my chest pain has died down a bit now but the arm pain is still there and I have the worst headache and eyes feel fuzzy if that makes sense.  Sounds like you have really been through it at your age I'm in my twenties too. I think I'm going to die I think I'm not going to make it to certain things like I have a family wedding coming up and a life with my partner. I have just taken some ibuprofen for my headache but that's it
    • Posted

Aw hun I really feel for you as its as though its me speaking as its everything im currently going through and experiencing I keep thinking to myself im going to die very soon im not going to get married with my partner etc etc im just soo scared im glad your chest pain has died down its probably due to you starting to feel relaxed or maybe ibuprofen kicking in hope the arm pain goes quickly for u im just petrified of the chest pain I keep trying to tell myself im ok but it just doesn't work I just literally feel my days are numbered especially that on a night im scared of going sleep in case I don't wake up what a life to live I used to be so happy now I just feel drained hate seeing my partner feel helpless aswell because I just feel nobody can help me and I just want to go hospital and stay there until the pain goes forever sad where abouts are you from hun?
    • Posted

I just think we both need to practice breathing techniques I know it's definitely easier said than done but it's a must if we want to overcome this horrible illness we will beat it one day I just hope it's very soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.