Chest Tightness/Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys is anyone experiencing tightness in the chest area I don't have difficulty breathing I'm on my 9th day of citalopram 10mg but on the 5th day I had a big panic attack and then another few hours after and since then my chest feels tights and I also get heartburn a lot be greatful in your reply's

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi Levi - tightening and pain in the chest and the larger thoracic region is a very classical symptom for anxiety. Have you been prescribed the Citalopram for anxiety or for depression? In case it is for anxiety you can expect some crests and troughs in your anxiety levels for the first 4 weeks as the body adjusts to the new chemical configurations. Some physical activity during the day really helped me when I was ramping up on my meds.
    • Posted

Hi Shan thank you for the reply yes they are for my anxiety I can breath normal but my chest is really tight like someone is sitting on it sad I'm 9th day in, I haven't left my house in 2months I get panicy if I leave my room and I focus on my breathing a lot thanks for reply as well

• Posted

hi Levi - i would suggest exactly what Boredriver has. Do some breathing exercises like 'Rebreathing' and Slow breathing. You can find the techniques on youtube or download apps like Omvana.

remember there is nothing wrong with you, your mind just feels that something is wrong and the body responds. the point is you have dealt with this for 2 months and nothing bad has happened which means its pretty clear that you all your fundamentals are perfectly fine.

• Posted

The drug needs another two, three weeks to help you.

Your chest tightness will be caused by Anxiety, so you need to be able to control  your Anxiety.

Try Breathing Exercises, you can check up the technique up on the Internet.

B.

• Posted

Thanks for the replys when I do breatring exercises I focus on it to much and makes it hard for me to breath sad I've only had tight chest for 4 days

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.