Chevron osteotomy 2 days ago..OUCH!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, Im new to the group. My name is Deidre and I am 47 years old. I have had this bunion on my left foot that has gotten worse over the past few months. I saw a surgeon on April 3 and he said I could keep trying the methods that havent been working or he could break the bone, realign it and put a screw in it..I almost fainted😣. I opted for the surgery (chevron osteotomy) which I had May 18, 2018. This is VERY painful!!! I refuse to take the narcotics as I already take a few psych meds and dont want the unwanted side effects. Extra strength tylenol knocks the edge off somewhat..Im so frustrated because I have a weak bladder and its hard to make it to the bathroom. Im walking on the heel and side but it hurts no matter what..Ive been elevating my leg and icing it but it helps minimally as the bandage is so thick..Please tell me the pain will get better😢

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deidre,

i had a lapidus bunionectomy on April 10, 2018. The pain will subside. I recommend getting a knee scooter. I no longer have pain and am heel walking with a boot. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi Deidre

I feel your pain...I had the same surgery, a screw and a wire through the bones in my foot to keep things lined up. It can be extremely painful at times. My surgery was 4 months ago, honestly getting through it without pain meds is something I can not imagine, but the other saving grace for me are my socks that have ice packs in them.They can be purchased online at . Nautra Cure Definitely helps with the pain.  Hang in there the heeling process is really slow, Most of my pain is gone but still have swelling.

• Posted

Hi, I had the same operation 4 weeks ago.  I had painkilling injections at first, now tablets. And I have been ok. Yes, it's painful at first, but I've done everything I was told to by the doctors and I'm getting better. 

• Posted

Hi Deidre,

It sounds much like the surgery I had. I, too, refused the narcotics and found that 600 or 800 mg of ibuprofen kept the pain bearable. After 10 days of bandages they put my foot into a cast up to my knee for four weeks.  We rented a scooter made for this type of problem. The problem with that was that it was a three wheel scooter so when I cocked the wheels, I went flying and tore the meniscus in my other knee. It has been 2 1/2 years. My foot is still not well but I can walk. I can say it is better than the opposite foot that I didn't have fixed.  As bad as the other foot is, I will NEVER again go through it--I couldn't walk without pain for 8 months.  It was worse than having my lung removed. The pain will get better but your foot. Hopefully you will do better than I did.

• Posted

Hi Deirdre

You are in the very very early stage of recovery and U have a long way to go...so be patient. I also did not want to take the drugs...but your body will be in more stress from pain and swelling...so take what you need. I am not sure how much research you did prior to opening...but you can't expect to be walking and pain free already ....it's a big op...it takes the time it takes. ..months...and can be a year before full recovery. However this is only a small time out if your life...so again be patient...walk and rest when U need...learn to listen to your body.

Vibeke

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.