Chiari malformation: When should I go to A&E with severe pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 99% sure I have chiari malformation. I am in the process of waiting to see a neurologist. In the last week I've had a severe headache which has caused extreme neck pain and hurts to the touch on the top of my neck, radiating through my shoulders, nausea every day, dizziness and in a consultation with my spinal Dr recently I couldn't feel the pin pricks when he put them in my feet, legs and arms.

My GP put me on naproxen and anti nausea, should I be worried and does it matter if I wait 3-4 months for a neuro referral or is this something that needs a&he treatment and hospitalisation? I actually discovered there is a neurosurgeon who has a research interest in chiari at my local hospital but don't want to involve to many hospitals and Drs. At least if it got much worse I know where to go!

Advice is needed please.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted


    Sorry your feeling so bad

    I live in the states

    I have a symptomatic chiari with about 90% of the symptoms

    I have had an appointment to see a neurosurgeon for a total of 4 months

    It has been a long wait

    I know how you feel I have they same symptoms


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I use ice and I keep my self propped up at about a 45° angle on the couch. I keep from flexing head/neck up down left right. I also use naproxen. Heat pad. I also have a soft neck brace.

    Marie Chiari

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I'm assuming A&E is the emergency room?

    I have tried that and nothing was done. My experience has

    been that most physicians know very little about Chiari and

    do not understand our symptoms. So for me it's just been

    managing symptoms the best I can on my own until I get to the

    Neurosurgeon, who specializes in Chiari. Lots of tears, and I

    am on Ativan to manage the intense anxiety.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Firstly have you had an MRI of your brain & full spine? If so, get the results for this Asap to rule out Chiari and Syringomyelia.

    If you haven't, then I would suggest you get one done Asap.

    I would not recommend you wait 3-4 months see a neurologist if you have numbness to this extent, has your spinal Dr arranged and mri of brain & spine?

    Let me know how your getting on, x

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up