Chickens and eggs - or "stressed because of peri or peri symptoms because of stress?"

Posted , 3 users are following.

So over the past few months I've lost about 3 kilos and am now technically underweight. Now I know this can cause irregular periods, and the most likely cause of my weight loss is stress, but how likely is it that it's the other way round?

(I've had blood tests that have come up clear for anything "medical" as the cause of my weight loss and basically got told to eat more.)

Before I lost this weight, my periods had been quite erratic (anything from 18 to 35 days) and I'd had hysteroscopy treatment for fibroids a year or so before that.

But now my cycle seems really long - 42 days and now 37 days and counting, so is this long cycle from weight loss or peri?

Apart from an erratic cycle I haven't had too many other symptoms thankfully - very tender breasts being the most obvious one.

Interestingly the blood test results showed a vitamin D deficiency, and taking a supplement has actually helped me feel heaps better emotionally. So I'm still left wondering whether stress (and I've been busy) is causing these long cycles or peri or a combination....

I guess I'm fairly unusual to be losing weight at my time of life (late 40s) but it's not at all deliberate!

Sorry, this is a bit of a ramble. Perhaps another symptom of peri that I have is that I don't always make a lot of sense and start out thinking I know exactly what I'm going to say and then end up not being able to express myself at all!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anon, I have also lost weight when the serious (I believe) crash of my hormones first started. I had a vitamin D deficiency as well. All of your symptoms are hormonal normal. I just turned 49. When I went to see the doctor (5th) that finally told me that I was in perimenopause, she just looked at my age and symptoms and said it is definitely hormones. She sees women like us all day everyday. I believe that what you are going through is Peri. But if you are real concerned see your doctor. Also dont worry about rambling....we all get what you are saying smile Be good and gentle with yourself right now. You will feel better soon! I heard that there is a light at the end of the tunnel smile Take care

• Posted

Thank you - nice to know I'm not alone, and thanks for getting through the rambling smile

• Posted

I lost alot of weight in peri as I got gastitis, it was a worry at the time as it was quite obvious, then I ended up put abit on, so now on a diet! X
    • Posted

That sounds nasty - glad it sounds like it's cleared up, but not so good about putting more back on than you wanted...!

Have never dieted in my life and really don't think I've got the willpower to do so, so am seriously hoping that I manage to limit weight gain to something reasonable!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.