Child thumb problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, so my son has been sucking his thumb since he was 2 he is now  7 and I am worried it will become a habit, there is nothing wrong with his teeth but 1 week ago I noticed his thumb had this thick circle of dense skin, so can someone plz tell me what this is? Look at pic 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

As he's been sucking his thumb for five years it's already a habit.  Perhaps the circle of skin is a sort of callous where his teeth have been biting or at least resting on his skin.  Apparently dummy and thumb sucking can not only affect the teeth but can also cause problems with speech like lisping or not being able to pronounce certain letters because of it altering the shape of the roof of the mouth Some children need speech therapy because of it so it really would be better if you could stop him doing it as the usual age for children to stop is about four years old and the longer it goes on it could cause more than just teeth problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.