Choking Cough and things going down the wrong way frequently

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I have a strange condition in that whenever I cough I end up choking and not being able to breathe properly - it lasts for no more than a minute and goes away by calming down and breathing through my nose. My GP thinks it is a left over symptom from a recent cold virus and he has given me an inhaler to take when I can feel it coming on (which does help). What's bothering me at the moment is that when eating I'm also finding that things are just shooting down the wrong way quite frequently, e.g. when eating a biscuit it doesn't take much for a crumb to shoot down the wrong way leading to a cough and then to choking (and me panicking!). Generally, I'm absolutely fine though I do often feel like I have a lump in my throat just where my adams apple is. I'm also drooling a lot more than I used to as well.

I'm in my 40s and larger than I should be (BMI = 31). Slightly confused what this could be. I do intend to go back to my GP after Christmas.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have exactly the same problem .. and I have copd, so once the choking and coughing starts, it can take a good half an hour to come right.

I doubt it's anything to do with the copd .. but its a damn nuisance whatever it is.

I also get an irritating little tickle around about where my tonsils used to be, which also sets off the coughing ..

Any theories or suggestions would be ever so welcome.

Ta

• Posted

You may be suffering with a hiatus hernia and acid reflux, you can often have difficulty with swallowing and breathing with this. Try nexium every day for a week, particularly with Christmas coming up. The types of foods and drinks you may be having over Christmas can cause a lot of reflux problems. Things like alcohol particularly champagne, sweet and stodgy foods, fatty foods, carbonated drinks, citrus fruits and spicy foods can all affect reflux. Try and eat slowly and chew your food a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.