Choking on Tonsil Stones

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there, 

In the last few years I've started getting tonsil stones, I can see them in there on both sides, but my tonsils are swollen and covered in crypts so getting a decent view is tough. The issue is I cant remove them as my gag reflex is so strong. At first they used to fall out after a few days but lately they don't.

They get larger to the point where it feels like they are constricting my throat and I end up coughing so hard I'm being sick.

For the last 5 months my throat has been sore, it varies but its always tender. Usually at least once a month I find it painful to swallow, and I'm constantly coughing like something has gone down the wrong way while eating. I've also always got a nasty taste in my mouth and food tastes like its going bad.

In the last month its got to the point where eating is sore, like my throat is raw. My staple foods are soups and baked beans (no idea why the beans). Currently talking is painful and I'm limited to eating once a day, more often then not, coughing violently afterwards, sometimes throwing up from the irritation.

I've tried removing them but the moment i touch anything past my tongue I gag. I tried gargling but I cant hold it without some getting past and gagging. I tried removing elements of my diet, brushing my teeth several times a day, mouthwash, harsh words... i cant find any way to get them out.

I've been to my GP but they cant suggest anything. Because its restricted breathing, affecting my eating, causing vomiting and im getting constant sore throats I've been referred to an ENT but the waiting time is 3-5 Months apparently. 

Has anyone had any experience of an ENT pushing for a tonsillectomy. Removing my primary ability to make tonsil stones is the only thing left I can think of. I still get recurrent tonsillitis and after every episode my tonsil stones feel worse. I've had tonsillitis twice a year at least, every year since 2006. I'm clearly not growing out of it and my risk factor for removal isn't likely to go down. Anyone able to confirm a light at the end of this tunnle?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I believe cutting off dairy products helps in reducing the formation of stones, as it helped me a lot. And for the stones to fall out on its own, gargle saline solution vigorously. This helps the stone to get loosen and ultimately it will fall off. For the gag reflex thing, try this. Gargle the saline solution. Stand in one leg and try to dislodge the stones using a q-tip or finger. The gag reflex will fade out soon as you get used to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.