Cholecystectomy and Acid Reflux

Posted , 3 users are following.

Do you really need an enzyme after cholecystectomy?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

As in take extra supplements? I personally haven’t taken any in the 7 months since surgery xx
    • Posted

Yes, as a temporary supplement. You have to remember that this is not a one size fits all thing.  We might all have a common denominator—our gallbladder have been removed, but our body react differently because of several factors like genes, what we eat, lifestyle, vices, etc. We are just two of the few lucky ones who have had cholecystectomy and is still enjoying life. But to those who are not as lucky; there are ways and means to alleviate their pain.  My suggestion would be on taking Beano and it is based on experience which I think might help some people who have some issues with gas pain and bloating. Because I had experienced these too.  I actually no longer take it because the pain is no longer there.  Lucky me. And lucky you too, for having no pain issue at all. 
  • Posted

In my opinion, you do not.  However, the people who sell digestive enzymes will tell you that you do.  After gallbladder removal, it's important that you allow your body to attempt to adjust on its own. Most folks do well after gallbladder surgery--they usually don't write in to sites like this one.

It's not a good idea to go out and buy enzymes or ox bile right after surgery. Your system is already over-taxed.  How can one expect it to normalize?    

That means that bile will be excreted from the liver into your small intestine constantly.  That's because the gallbladder isn't there any longer to store the bile and measure it out.  Sometimes, the bile can back up from the small intestine into the stomach.  This can cause symptoms of acid reflux.

One way to discover whether this is occurring is to have an endoscopy performed to detect whether there is bile in the stomach.  In some cases, people who suffer from acid reflux can take proton pump inhibitors, which will lessen the production of stomach acid.  That can be helpful, too.  Hope this helps.     

• Posted

I guess you are correct. The truth is I have mine surgically removed some 25 years ago and was not told to take any enzymes. However, last year when I have a complete blood test, my GGT was higher than normal which indicated that I have a fatty liver. And upon research It says that the gallbladder’s function is to hold the bile which is produced in the liver which helps in the digestion of fats. And in the absence of the gallbladder the bile that is being produced by the liver goes straight to the intestines. Having said all these, I think that we just have to be extra careful in eating fatty foods.  And yes, occasionally I experience acid reflux and diarrhea. Overall, even if we can actually live without a gallbladder it is still an important part of our digestive system.  Also, just a few days ago my 28-year old daughter had undergone laparoscopic cholecystectomy and was told by a nurse friend that she should take enzymes. Still have to hear from her doctor when she sees her on the post op follow up appointment. The very reason why I was a bit wondering if it is really necessary. Thanks for the insights. It was really helpful. smile
    • Posted

Hi, Edwina, you can help your fatty liver reduce the fat levels by diet alone. That's what I did.  The main thing I did was to limit all sugars and convenience foods, which contain large amounts of high fructose corn syrup.  Eat a simple, healthy diet, and limit the use of sugar substitutes, too, because they only make you crave sugar more.  xx

• Posted

My experience is also no. As Linda says the body needs to adapt. It's digesting in a slightly different way. The only supplement I take is time release peppermint oil capsules.

I had acid reflux daily before the gallbladder was removed and none since apart from when I ate half a bag of boiled sweets a couple of days after my op very silly and that truly upset my digestion for about 12 hours.. So lesson learnt no more boiled sweets smile

Best Wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.