Cholelithiasis NOS

Posted , 5 users are following.

20 years ago i had pain and was told it's gall stones but with a diet change and some weight loss it stopped. 20 years later had some problems with acid reflux and after almost 2 years my doctor now thinks it's Cholelithiasis NOS ? and said do i want my gallbladder removed i said well at the moment i am manging it ok and he thinks i was right to wait.

But did say any problems he will get me in to have it removed.

What i would like to know is do you think i have done the right thing ?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I will say I think it's  a good decision not to do if you can avoid it, but the problem is gallbladder stuff usually gets worse with time and you don't want to end up in the situation that a lot of us have which is waiting in pain and vomiting months waiting to get the surgery when it does get bad. Have you had occurrence of stones? Because it also really depends on the cause. I had episodes of acute inflammation. The acalculous causes can be complicated too, but a lot of times taking out the gallbladder is still the best option unfortunately. I had ebv and autoimmune related failure of my gallbladder which of course if you source the cause of inflammation and treat that it will minimize it but a lot of times these causes of inflammation are chronic and not easy to treat so living with it still wasn't an option for me. Most people I've seen who had stone related gallbladder issues and nothing else coinciding did very well after the surgery and had no more issues following. I think the people who still have issues following the surgery are people who had non stone related gallbladder causes. It's a very thin line though when you have gallbladder issues. It can go from manageable to worse very quickly, depending. If you're managing ok right now I would figure out the cause first and go from there. If it's something that's treatable which will stop the issue without taking it out do that first, if it's going to continue to progress like stones etc., get it out while you're strong and healthy instead of when you're sick which will make the recovery extremely difficult. I lost a lot of weight (got down to a scary 97lbs) because I because I waited so long to do the surgery because I felt ok and then I went from manageable to worse very quickly and had to wait months to get scheduled for the surgery.  

• Posted

It's all shrunk and full of stones and my doctor thinks some are in the duct, but i am manging it ok at the moment so will wait a while. only is because i will have to have loads of lung test and others before they do anything because of all my other problems which i will list below.

Emphysema

acid reflux

liver problems

gallstones

prostate problems

geographic tongue

epididymis

There is more but i will be here all day if i carry on smile

• Posted

i feel sorry for you. how did you manage for 20 years? enough bile may not gone in to your body and you might have run in to other issues. what are the symptoms you had in this 20 years with gallstones?

Better to remove the stones asap as it is in the duct. seems you need an ECRP  and gall bladder removal (if you have stones in the gb)

• Posted

Had pain 20 years ago then managed to get it to stop. No a year and half ago i started getting acid reflux which effected my throat so stopped me eating and lost weightm then the doctors sent me tot he hosptial to see what's wrong after scan and other stuff they said i have all the problems i mentioned above.

But last 3 months i have put weight and symptoms have got loads better that's why i think i should wait to see if it starts again.

• Posted

so after initial diagnosis of gallstones before 20 years and then you followed the diet right , did the gallstones went away? did you took any scan to make sure the stones are gone after some years following diet? 
    • Posted

I never follwed any diet just stopped eating chinese curry. the stones are still here my gall bladder is full and shrunk
    • Posted

This morning the surgeon called me said he got the letter from the doctor and because it might be 3 months until i am seen wanted to get things started.

Asked a few questions does not think it's a stone stuck but asked if i get claustrofobia i said yes he said i was going to get you to have an MRI but because of your claustrofobia will get a CT Scan done and some bloods, he did say i can't understand why your doctor as not done all htese blood tests so will ask.

So now i am wondering what can cause my bile duct to be 11mm i know cancer can but what eles.

• Posted

Yes out it comes. Why suffer all these problems you are telling us. All of my digestive problems are gone. No more nausea and vomiting. In time after op you have to stick to a fat-free diet. Enjoy life again. Good Luck.
  • Posted

My opinion would be and it is just my opinion none of us know your medical background is to have it out while you are relatively stable. Some of your other conditions may also be being made worse by a poorly function system. The recovery is not always easy for everyone but your body is already coping with an disadvantage system so you might find things a lot easier. I think you've done well and managed it for 20 years . But it's probably had a detrimental effect on you in a gradual way. good luck with what you decide to do. My surgeon said to me I can take it out now while you are reasonably well in a controlled planned manner or I'll see you blue lighted through a and e and then we might not be able to it by keyhole. Let us know what you decide.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply and info. I am thinking about what to do i really hate hospitals and don't trust them at all, I am not lucky at all and if something is going to go wrong it will be me that it goes wrong for lol

I do have alot of health problems but to be honest i feel ok and the other thing that puts me off is i work for myself and work all the time every day of the year even xmas.

• Posted

I agree with the above. Also, if it's shrunk and full of stones as he says and you have stones in your duct, I honestly am not sure how you would be managing so well. You normally get features of obstruction jaundice when you have stones lodged in the ducts. I don't know if he told you and not to scare you, but if you have that many stones and in your ducts, you could end up perforating which you reeeally do not want to end up with. It's an emergency and then the surgery gets more complicated and you'll have to have drains and be cleaned out. Hospitals are not fun I know. I'm one of the unlucky ones too, but find a good hospital and a doctor who's done this a lot. This is an extremely common surgery 

• Posted

I'm sorry that one sentence meant to say stones in your ducts and gallbladder* you could perforate 

• Posted

Doctor only thinks i might have stones stuck because one part of my liver function test way high this one below use to be 142 but it's bome down over the last few months and my acid is loads better and i have put 10lbs on which is good.

Serum alkaline phosphatase level 133 iu/L [30 - 130]

• Posted

PS he also said that the duct instead of being 3mm it's 11 or was when i had my last scan about 6 months ago

• Posted

This morning the surgeon called me said he got the letter from the doctor and because it might be 3 months until i am seen wanted to get things started.

Asked a few questions does not think it's a stone stuck but asked if i get claustrofobia i said yes he said i was going to get you to have an MRI but because of your claustrofobia will get a CT Scan done and some bloods, he did say i can't understand why your doctor as not done all htese blood tests so will ask.

So now i am wondering what can cause my bile duct to be 11mm i know cancer can but what eles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.