Choosing a consultant

Posted , 4 users are following.

Will I get the consultant I requested 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Wendy 

In my experience no... Not unless you go privately.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I’m worried about my surgeon not having much experience 
    • Posted

My consultant is fairly new and I must say he is fantastic... 8 weeks post op from THR.

Doing really well 👍🏻

• Posted

Great your doing so well. I’ve looked up the consultant I saw today and he’s only done 12 THR in 36 mths. The one I requested did both of my friends hips and he is very experienced. I’m very concerned. I might try to push for him. Even if it means I have to wait longer. 🤞

• Posted

I paid privately for a consultation with the surgeon I was supposed to see on nhs as I was in such pain I thought it might help . After paying and when he knew it wasn't being done privately I was told in no uncertain terms I would still be waiting 2years plus... I left in tears he was so awful.

I'm so glad I was seen by the surgeon who did my op... I saw him last July and my hip had deteriorated so badly due to AVN that I was put on his urgent list and had my op 8 weeks ago,as o said I'm doing really well apart from some aches and pains which is normal... So I'm told. Appointment for check up tomorrow so hoping all will be well.

If you can wait and have faith in your chosen surgeon then I'd wait as it'll help your confidence having the op x

• Posted

Thanks Fran. Good luck for tomorrow 
    • Posted

Hi Wendy 

Had my check up this afternoon,

The consultant is delighted with my recovery. The scar is about 5/6 ins long and hardly noticeably which he is proud of and said he likes to keep incisions as small as possible.

Told discomfort from muscle/ligament pain is normal for up to 6 months...and considering my hip was in a very bad way is nothing. Saw X-rays and looks great!!

Goodbye crutches and start living normally again and keep my hip moving. Not seeing him for a year!!!

I say as long as you have faith in your surgeon stick by your guns and  hope you have a speedy recovery... Keep in touch and thank you everyone for support and advice 😃😃😃

• Posted

Great news Fran. Looks like your doing really well. 

I was told at hospital that I am being put on the waiting list of the surgeon I requested but a registrar could do it. I was reassured that If that happened the one I wanted would be watching over him. I’m happy with that. 

Keep enjoying getting on with your life pain free 💃

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I'm so glad you are getting what you wanted.

Please try not to worry because the registrar will probably be a senior registrar with the surgeon watching over him or her.

I hope you won't have to wait too long for your op. You won't know yourself afterwards.

We are starting a new life in early summer and retiring to Spain ... 🇪🇸????

Weather will be great for my joints...

• Posted

Not sure where you are Wendy, but unless,  as Fran has said, unless you pay privately, there  is no guarantee that you will see the Consultant you requested.  I know this for a fact as it happened to me.  frown
    • Posted

I wonder why they bother to ask you. I suppose it looks good politically 
  • Posted

If you go on your local hospital's website you should be able to find who the surgeons are in your area. There should be a list of them and what they specialize in. As the others said you need to ask for your first appointment with your chosen surgeon to be a private one if you can afford or have any private insurance. I have a top up insurance with 'Westfield' which allows you to claim for one consultation with surgeon of your choice. From then in it's up to him/her whether they will do your op on the NHS or put you on their waiting list to do this. Hope this helps. X rolleyes

• Posted

Thank you   Pollyanna. I have the consultant I requested as my responsible health professional but saw a different one today. I’m not sure which one will do the operation. 
    • Posted

I would ask at the clinic/hospital you attend. I suppose you can insist on the one you chose first. It's all about protocol I believe.

Good luck, X rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.